PDA

View Full Version : 1st SCCA AX of 2011 (Fatih insisted)

SMF32s
04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Had fun this past Sunday. Very competitive group here in DC and had my best finish ever. Finished 1st in ASP and Paxed 6 out of 189 entrants. PAX is the SCCA's Nationally accepted handicap system for measuring the times of all entrants against each other. Here in DC, most of the top 15 PAX time drivers are typically past or present National Champions or compete at that level on a regular basis.

The car felt great after adjusting the GMG bars and camber with the hats rotated. Have to thank Intersport Perfomance here in the DC area for all of the help and advice. Those guys know their stuff and the service is awesome.

New Hoosier A6's helped too. Looking forward to doing a few National events this summer too.

I know most of you guys are track rats and maybe don't see AX as too much but I enjoy it and find it to be awfully safe and a lot less expensive. I will give the track a shot sometime this year. Won a Spec Miata rental for a weekend so I have to go now. :hello:

If you're in or around DC, give me a shout and come on out sometime. Fatih was always there for a long time and he still shows up once iin a while.

Stu

bman
04-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Congrats! The PAX results sound impressive.

I've only driven one PCA AX at the Bowie Baysox, a lot which I am sure you're familar with, and had a blast. I plan to do another this summer, most likely 4th of July weekend. And looking for a fall date too.

Enjoy the Miata drive. Tell us how you liked it.

FTS
04-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Superb result Stu, I am envious, I never had the 1st place when I was running even regionally. My proudest moment was 4th on national ProSolo in the rain :) Since I did not renew my SCCA membership, I can no longer keep up with the results, so thank you for giving a glimpse of it :)

For those they may not be aware, Wash DC Region of SCCA Solo II (autox) is one of the most competitive in the nation. Most top autoxer in SCCA race in this region and getting good results in individual classes is an accomplishment, let alone 1st place in ASP. I don't know if it is still the case, but ASP is one of the hottest contested classes, the level of preparation is mind blowing in terms of the car and the driver. Is it still so Stu? What cars/drivers are you going against this year?

Frankly, I would not have thought a GT3 would be competitive in Solo II or ProSolo, it is amazing you are. I have heard from others that your driving technique reached a very special point, but getting this type of results in this region is just superb.

How is the level of car preparation for the GT3? I am sure you have more than the GMG bars on it. IMA is really cool, Ivan alsways has good advice. Actually the last time I saw you in person was when you had just purchased your GT3 and was dropping it off to him for alignment :)

Congrats Stu again, excellent result!!!

FTS
04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
You need a password to get to current results unfortunately :( But Bman, it looks like you got 1st in A Stock last year :D http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/EventsAX/SoloChampionship1/2010ChampionshipEvent1Results/tabid/1693/Default.aspx

SMF32s
04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
ASP is still pretty competitive. We have the National Champ in ASP in Richmond but he was not there this past week. Wish he was so I could compare myself. Mainly Corvette Z06's. It takes a lot of money and time to make those competitive.

I am actually using Intersport and not IMA any more. I am happier with the level of service and quality of work and their commitment to getting me straight. They spent quite a bit of time with me adjusting everything.

My car has only the GMG bars and everything else is stock. I just put a set of GT2 seats in I bought from Fritz via Mickeymu. I think those helped too. I have 18" tires with 255 in front and 315's in rear. The alignment and bar adjustments are what made a huge difference. We'll see if it was a fluke or if I can repeat at the next event.

Come on out. You can do a weekend SCCA membership and sign up. Fatih, you have always been fast. You might get a good laugh out of throwing your new ride around. It's pretty fun to feel the front end lift a corner under power coming out of a turn. Way different than my Boxster S.

Hope to see you guys.

Stu

FTS
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
ASP is still pretty competitive. We have the National Champ in ASP in Richmond ...
Michael Johnson?

I am actually using Intersport and not IMA any more.
I am sorry I mixed up the places. Charles is awesome too as I hear. I've never been to Intersport, but all I hear is good stuff.

18" tires with 255 in front and 315's in rear.
I wish they had 255/30 for R888s that I use, I think your combination is pretty good. I'd assume you have some very aggressive toe at the rear, or minimal toe-in?

I will come out, I'll check the schedule, and I'll drag Bman and Skip too, so I am not the only one embarrassing himself ;) I'd love to ride with you for one run if you don't mind and get that thrill again :) Looking at last year's results, I could not believe Craig is still running :D

SMF32s
04-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, Michael Junior Johnson drives a heavily modified C6 ZO6 and won Nationals by over 2 seconds last year. His 4th or 5th one in the last 6 years in ASP.

I have a little toe in in the back and just a touch of toe out in the front. The 255 A6's are the same width as the 275's and just barely clear with the almost -3 degrees of camber in the front.

You may hitch a ride with me anytime. Can't promise the same out come but I'm trying. Craig and the whole Garfield clan are still there and winning as usual.

May 15th is the next SCCA local event. Let me know if you're coming out. I think ASP will run in the morning at that event.

Stu

FTS
04-20-2011, 03:48 PM
15th looks promissing actually, and if it is in the morning, that's even better :)

Trackrat
04-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Stu- congrats on the excellent showing! I too had no idea a GT3 would perform well on AX? That is pretty cool. Please post some pics and keep us updated how things progress? :-8

SMF32s
05-02-2011, 01:08 PM
:D Per your request. Photos....

FTS
05-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Talk about looking ahead on that last pic :D Great pics Stu, thank you.