PDA

View Full Version : You Are a Track Nut, if...

FTS
04-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Inspired by a thread from our friends at the Cayman Register, I thought we should have our version. Add your experiences as you see fit:

You are a track nut, if...

Your wife suggest that you need new suits, and the first thing that comes to your mind is Nomex two-peice racing suits and underweare.
you schedule your family vacation around your track/race schedule.
you send your boss, at the beginning of the year, your PTO schedule for the entire year.
You collect coton long-sleeve shirts two-drawers-full, because they'll be used well during track days.
you avoid replacing the 6-year old street tires on your other cars to save money for race tires that only last half a season.

mooty
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
i guess i am a nut

jenk12m
04-21-2011, 10:00 PM
#2 for me, so I guess I'm a nut

bman
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
if......you think the ideal mother's day present is a HANS device and a trip to Mid Ohio! Lucky for me.....she will really like them both :kiss:

jenk12m
04-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Or if your garage looks like tire rack and griots garage combined then you may be a track nut

mdrums
04-23-2011, 09:51 AM
#3&4 for me!

For Christmas I asked for a Safety Solutions R3, R888's, brake pads and new numbers.

PJS
04-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Or if your garage looks like tire rack and griots garage combined then you may be a track nut

this and #2 - guilty
1 set of wheels on car and 3 sets with tires stacked
stock parts all boxed and stacked
griots detailer cart loaded and rarely used
couple jacks
etc...

wife wants to always put useless crap in the garage and I throw a fit that rivals the best tantrums of my 3 year old daughter :-)

FTS
04-25-2011, 01:36 AM
All good ones guys, keep it coming.

Here is the latest from me:

My wife asked my mother over the phone if my warranty had expired already, or she still had the chance to return me back! The answer was a "click." Oh btw, we have been married for 23 years now ::-/

Dell
04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
......if you intentionally shop for homes near at world class facility.

We chose Raleigh b/c of the 1 hour drive to VIR :)

PJS
04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
...... if you are shipping car related items anywhere but home... like say an aim mxl pista with smarty cam... just sayin...

mooty
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM

like this....?

930man
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I asked for Pagid 29s for Christmas!! Easter 4th of July thanksgiving Birthday and Anniversary presents !

jenk12m
04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Mooty, that's insane. I see why geisha was washed and waxed so much

csmarx
04-26-2011, 12:22 AM
...You have done 2000+ laps round the Nürburg Ring, and you can't wait to go back for more. (July! :))

ATL Fahrer
04-26-2011, 05:48 AM
...you spend an unbelievable amount of money on a dedicated "track" car and then 10's of thousands more getting it track ready!

Izzone
04-26-2011, 07:08 AM
#3&4 for me!

For Christmas I asked for a Safety Solutions R3, R888's, brake pads and new numbers.

Aim higher and ask Santa for GT2 seats

FTS
04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
...You have done 2000+ laps round the Nürburg Ring, and you can't wait to go back for more. (July! :))

Good first teaser post :hello: Please do tell more.

Izzone
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
If you buy trires in Bulk......Costco style

bman
04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
If you buy trires in Bulk......Costco style

U got a lot of shaving to do

TRAKCAR
04-28-2011, 09:15 PM

:-DD

You can't post that as a first post without spilling the beans!

Beans or Ban!! :ballkicked:
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

csmarx
04-30-2011, 03:30 PM
:-DD

You can't post that as a first post without spilling the beans!

Beans or Ban!! :ballkicked:
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

:-)))

Howdy, great to have a dedicated GT car forum!

I'm not sure how best to explain the Nürburg Ring to track nuts who haven't been there - yet. Maybe like this, if regular track driving is as addictive as Caffeine, then the Ring is like crack cocaine. It's terrible! ;)

Back in 2000 I got transferred to London where I heard about the still somewhat obscure Nürburg Ring. I had just bought a 355 Spyder and decided on a road trip to the Ring with a friend. That quickly became an annual trip for a group of us. After the second year, a buddy and I decided that we needed a Ring Spielzeug, a Ring Toy - aka a dedicated car parked at the Ring. That way we could hop on a quick flight from London to Cologne and go drive anytime. We got ourselves a 968 Cub Sport and managed to find one of the few that came with a full M030 track package from the Porsche factory. It came with a roll bar, racing seats, 6-point harnesses, fully adjustable suspension, upgraded brakes, front strut brace, light weight flywheel clutch, etc. Compared to today's cars it feels slightly under powered, but the balance is superb.

It a long story, but I wound up flying to the Ring about 10 times that year, and even more the next year. Meanwhile I also qualified for an International C racing license in order to participate in the 24 Hr race at the Nürburg Ring. After that I became part owner/driver of a semi-pro race team participating in the VLN endurance series at the Ring. And so on... Totally sucked in.

After a couple years I also got a new 2nd generation GT3. It was a Club Sport (not sold in the US at the time) with full roll cage, racing seats, harnesses and so on. Most of the time I also had that parked at the Ring, so 2 cars now. In other words a proper certified Ring nut!

One of my friends and co-drivers is a professional test driver at the Ring, who has probably done 30,000+ laps around the Ring. He taught me quite a lot. As a testament to how addictive the Ring is, this guy would spend a week at work test driving at the Ring, and still show up in the evening and drive for fun!

I think the addiction comes from the fact that the Ring is arguably the worlds most difficult track with something like 78 proper turns (and about 177 turns and kinks), leaving you forever in search of that perfect lap. At the same time it's probably also the most dangerous track with many blind turns, surface changes, and even weather changes from one end of the track to the other. Most of the track has virtually no run-off, so if you go off the track, chances are you are bending some metal. it's a combination that leaves you always wanting another lap.

I've done a smattering of other racing mostly in the UK in Formula Fords and Minis.

Now I live in Santa Barbara, recently bought a 2004 GT3 and am constantly trying to fit in tack days or fun road trips. I've been to Streets of Willow three times and Laguna Seca once. My favorite road nearby is the Mariposa Highway (Rt 33) out of Ojai.

Anyway, I'm organizing a trip in July to drive two private track days at the Ring followed by a track day at Spa. :). If anyone is interested, I'm happy to forward the information on where to book the various things. The more the merrier!

That's about it,
-Christian

FTS
04-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Superb story Christian, welcome to the community.

Recently CWS posted couple of videos that may be enjoyable to you, I can only imagine being there:

http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=149

Cheers,

TRAKCAR
04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
I decided that we needed a Ring Spielzeug, a Ring Toy - aka a dedicated car parked at the Ring. That way we could hop on a quick flight from London to Cologne and go drive anytime.

You are clearly a very highly intelligent man :pals:

Christian, thank you for posting that. Would love to meet up at the Ring sometimes!
I also have a half baked plan to ship my car to the expensive coast for a few months to go drive Laguna and the other tracks.

I ordered my car Euro delivery, but the build date was 02-23-10 (My 15th wedding anniversary) still 2ft of snow at the Ring, so I figured I would ship it back after the winter with all mods done. Then I got busy driving all the South East tracks (10K miles today) and when I was fully ready to send my car over this May, I was unable to get insurance for my car :-(

Instead I've only done 6, 6!! :-(( laps in a rentracecar.de BMW 120I last year July and I vowed to go back ASAP. I was scared to death following a guy in a 120I that hired a coach to follow ;-)

Addictive? Like Crack, only worse and much more expensive.
I was ready to cancel the entire rest of our trip in Europe and hang at the Ring, probably the closest I've ever been to divource :ROFL!:

It won't be the same as in my own car, but I will try to rent a slow racecar again. Maybe rental Avis 911. Faster cars, never mind GT3's are out of my budget.

I might make it in July, but unsure now.

My very understanding wife :kiss: is originally from Munchen and we have a place there with a garage, so as soon as I can find a way to get my car over for a few months with insurance I will be there :-). If impossible, fly, drive and drink I guess :-8 as we will every year.

jenk12m
05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Christian, did you ever live in Atlanta? Do you have a yellow gt3?

FTS
05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
This turned out to be fun thread, some of the entries are hilarious, but I think Trakcar has topped us all, he is the winner in my opinion:

Mancation II Drive North, or ship car to CA? (http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=18)

I have no words left, I don't know who can top this one.

pranqster
05-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Lets see:

Spring Mountain Countryclub track membership.
bought 20 Michelin slicks scrubs last year all at once.
sold my 6 GT3 and RUF RGT for my cup car, then bought the 6 GT3 back.
study track layouts and apex points rather than read newspapers.
heel and toe everyday to keep in practice.

csmarx
05-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Christian, did you ever live in Atlanta? Do you have a yellow gt3?

Never even been to Atlanta!

I've lived in Copenhagen, New York, Boston, London, Cape Town, and currently Santa Barbara, but never Atlanta. I hear it nice, though!

I currently have a black GT3, and I had an arctic silver one in Germany when I was living in London.

-Christian

jenk12m
05-14-2011, 10:14 AM
I just know a christian that travels back n forth the way you do. Sorry about that

24Chromium
05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
you avoid replacing the 6-year old street tires on your other cars to save money for race tires that only last half a season.

You're able to get race tires to last half a season?!?!! I'm lucky if I can get a 3 day weekend out of a set of Hoosiers!

But, I'm with you on showing no love to the daily driver. She doesn't get the attention she used to, that's for SURE! :-8

FTS
05-16-2011, 02:37 PM
You guys are too demanding, Hohos and all... I am the slow guy on R888s doing only few track days a season, don't even have a trailer ;)

TRAKCAR
05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
You do this between July 9 and 19:
Autobahn NASA 9+10
Road America PCA 11+12
Mosport 14th.
Mid Ohio NASA 15-17
Watkins Glen AUDI 18+19

24Chromium
05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Autobahn NASA 9+10
Road America PCA 11+12
Mosport 14th.
Mid Ohio NASA 15-17
Watkins Glen AUDI 18+19

Now THAT's a MANCATION! I'm very envious. Earlier in the year, I was trying to plot out a cross country road trip with the very idea of what you've got there.
:-8

jenk12m
05-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Autobahn NASA 9+10
Road America PCA 11+12
Mosport 14th.
Mid Ohio NASA 15-17
Watkins Glen AUDI 18+19
If you try and convince the misses to let you do this