PDA

View Full Version : GT3 RS 4.0 Opinion Poll

FTS
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
With all the speculations for the past several months and now the announcement in real, looking at the videos, pictures and specs, what is your opinion on how good of a job Porsche did with the last 997 GT3 range?

CWS
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Pretty pleased with the way the car turned out. Not sure why you'd want it more radical looking than it already is. I can see the case for making changes to accommodate 10" front rims, but you can probably already do that with existing bodywork. Beyond that, how much more rubber can you possibly want for a street car (when was the last time you looked at an unmounted 325/30x19)?

The two changes I'd like to see would be a roll bar/CGT seat solution - hopefully they at least weld in the plates on this one - and a Guards Red color option.

bman
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
(when was the last time you looked at an unmounted 325/30x19)?

I've got some in my garage right now! :D They are huge.....I just wish I could find a sticky front tire wider than a 235/35/19 :(

The video got my attention. Engine, aero, suspension, etc.... more went into this than I "expected". Compared to my disappointment , and seemingly a lot of others, when they introduced the Cayman S vs Cayman R.......this introduction actually exceeded my expectation because I didn't expect much besides the change in displacement.

CWS
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
.....I just wish I could find a sticky front tire wider than a 235/35/19 :(

Exactly. Hence my comment on 10" front rims. Beyond that, anything wider front/rear is a waste on mixed-use car IMHO.

jenk12m
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
I too wanted a little more visually. At least give us more colors to come standard in stead of 1 color
The engine and carbon that went into this is more than what I expected, but then again it comes back to the weight and it's no big difference in weight over the 3.8RS

FTS
04-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I think weight is where it can possibly be at this time, very much diminishing returns. It is easier to add power, but that is reaching its limits too in my opinion. So, what left:

Hybrid technology for increased burst of power, different drive configurations and increased efficiency.
Serviceability and reliability. I think the GT3 can use a significant "upgrade" in serviceability of its components from brakes, engine, chassis, and suspension
increased driver functionality. I would love to have a GT car that gives me more control with its electronics and functionality configuration. Imagine if came with a comprehensive data logger.
Ease of personalization. You can re-tub a Cup Car. It would be interesting to have such an option for a GT car with different tub options, getting creative would be pretty nice option. Also, if we had the option of choosing our coilovers, diff setups, wheel/tire combinations, etc. (tall order to manage such an options catalog, no doubt, but each GT might become a unique car in its own right, similar to what you can do with a Harley for example).
If we can have warranty on this type of a car for the street, I think there may be an option to offer (for additional fee) a warranty for trackers.

Increase value offered beyond the basics of power, handling and overall performance. I don't want to end up paying $250K for a regular GT3 in 5-10 years, so value to me is added functionality while keeping prices at time-period-adjusted reasonable levels.

jenk12m
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
the US version is always stuck with the added weight

hybrid tech for burst of power like KERS may be a long way away before we see it in a street. we will have to see what happens with the 991 pdk and so forth. we could have our own little F1 steering wheel in the cars with so many buttons on it
it would be nice to have that bmw service plan of free 4yrs 50k service, but im sure they get it back somewhere else. plus my mom had a bmw 550i and as soon as the warranty went out, everything started going wrong with the car
data logger in the car is your wart on the dash, didnt you know that haha :)
all those options would be us living in a dream world

FTS
04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I am not sure how much more weight the US version might get, but as it is right now, the dry weight difference between the RSR and RS 4.0 is just 35 kgs, you cannot do any better than that IMHO. There are no other cars on the street lighter that I know.

CWS
05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Liking the black wheel option:

http://gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=291

TRAKCAR
05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Congrats!

:-DD

No grey wheels? Might match the stripe somewhat?
What other specs? Or not specced yet?

FTS
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
White with few red accents really complement the car IMHO. I hadn't realized the break light was integrated into the rear duck tail, sweet. Congrats.

I wonder if they will also do a special delivery event for this one.

FTS
05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
It just occurred to me that with the availability of this new engine from Porsche, imagine a nice little project of transplanting it into a regular GT3. Now, that would be a very sweet sleeper IMO :D

TRAKCAR
05-02-2011, 07:06 AM
I can picture picking up an '07 GT3 cheap with a bad motor ;-)
Do we know what an (4.0) GT3 engine costs?

FTS
05-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Won't be cheap, but would worth it any way ;)

mooty
05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
my very good friend and the dealer i buy from all the time... oh, hell, let me mention their name and you help me spread the negatives... CARLSEN PORSCHE in CA. graciously told me they offered 1 of there 2 4.0 cars to someone paying 25000 over. strangely they never asked if i would pay over... just like the .2RS....

of course, they never mentioned if they would give me the 2nd car they have at whatever exhorbitant price.... correct, i wont pay over. but i like to be offered the opportunity to pay over afterall it's my money to throw out the window.

so.... it is not to be..
now let the grudge and battle begin.....

FTS
05-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Way to go John, but somehow I know you will find one at list and get it ;)

CWS
05-04-2011, 06:39 AM
my very good friend and the dealer i buy from all the time... oh, hell, let me mention their name and you help me spread the negatives... CARLSEN PORSCHE in CA. graciously told me they offered 1 of there 2 4.0 cars to someone paying 25000 over. strangely they never asked if i would pay over... just like the .2RS....

of course, they never mentioned if they would give me the 2nd car they have at whatever exhorbitant price.... correct, i wont pay over. but i like to be offered the opportunity to pay over afterall it's my money to throw out the window.

so.... it is not to be..
now let the grudge and battle begin.....

Operating in the heart of Silicon Alley, they probably take the view that there's a new millionaire minted every day so who needs customer loyalty.

Don't feel bad - it happens just as much on the east coast. I only deal with Porsche salespeople that keep their word and stand behind their product. That list gets smaller by the day.

TRAKCAR
05-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Unbelievable. Porsche should do something about that.

I love Reeves in Tampa. Their company policy does not allow selling over MSRP and the service is fantastic. Best car buying experience I ever had. Dean King is my sales guy and he went way above and beyond. If i'd go 4.0 I'd call him today to run my credit card and put me on the lst in the hope he will receive enough of them.

Dean King cell: 727-433-2693
I'd like it to be delete nothing, no options, white grey wheels.

CWS
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
No-cost Silver wheel option looks pretty good with the accents:

http://gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=290

TRAKCAR
05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I think better then black and kinda goes with the grey stripe. I do like the stripe, but like the GT2RS little graphics best.

Black is Ok with decal delete I'd think. Forget white.

FTS
05-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I actually like it with the white wheels better.

TRAKCAR
05-04-2011, 08:43 AM
But they will be grey/dirty after 100ft... The bubble wrappers will order white for sure.

FTS
05-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Since I am not actually buying the car, I don't worry about such problems ;) But if I were to worry about it, there is an Armor All or Maguire's products that prevents brake dust from sticking onto the wheel. Works for street but not effective on track, which should still be OK since you won't take it to track with stock wheels most likely.

CWS
05-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Since I am not actually buying the car, I don't worry about such problems ;) But if I were to worry about it, there is an Armor All or Maguire's products that prevents brake dust from sticking onto the wheel. Works for street but not effective on track, which should still be OK since you won't take it to track with stock wheels most likely.

Good luck with that. Hard enough keeping the red wheels clean and I used Rejex from the start. White? Fahgettaboutit.

TRAKCAR
05-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Here is one at MSRP:
Dean King 727-433-2693.

GT3Racerich
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Good luck with that. Hard enough keeping the red wheels clean and I used Rejex from the start. White? Fahgettaboutit.

I did the wheels with the same sealant (Wolfgang) I use on the rest of the car.
They are pretty easy to clean.
Rich

CWS
05-05-2011, 06:11 PM
The less you track the easier they are to keep clean. ;)

TRAKCAR
05-05-2011, 08:31 PM
The more you track, the less you care ;-)

jenk12m
05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
+1, more tracking

CWS
05-06-2011, 08:16 PM
The more you track, the less you care ;-)

Especially if you have a set of track wheels. ;)