PDA

View Full Version : Data Logger Group Buy, Interested?

FTS
05-01-2011, 11:57 AM
There have been many discussions across various forums on the topic of data loggers, primarily because there are so many options out there with varying degrees of functionality, price and technical support.

I don't think their value is questionable at this time, however, no one really agrees with specific units. Listing all the features, pluses and minuses does not lead to any conclusion either frankly. And at the end, what ever unit you choose, its software determines the benefits the user receives.

Since we majority of us have a Porsche GT, the most benefit we can obtain is probably in sharing files, helping with software intricacies and coaching one another and helping each other for better driving.

With that in mind and before going further on this topic about the technical details, I have a simple question: Would our members benefit from us organizing a group-buy of some sort and may be some professional advice in selecting a unit for our Register? The question is not one of price or features right now, that will come later.

If we have a strong interest in this, I will do my best to negotiate a group buy with few respected vendor on behalf of the Register. Strong interest being greater than 10-12 people.

So, please post your opinion, I will follow up with second set of questions after this one in about a week or so, so we can provide "requirements" to any potential vendor.

Thank you,

TRAKCAR
05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know yet.
I was ready to ebay or garbage my traqmate but overnighted it to Traqmate on Thursday in a last effort. I will know next week if it is "fixed" or if I'm buying something else.

jenk12m
05-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Peter what did you have them do to yours

TRAKCAR
05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
It would not connect to laptop, so I could not download data.
Erik has the same problem. I suspect it is the Traqstudio software that has not been upgraded in years and is still version 1.0.

Ron from Traqmate said there must be something wrong with the display unit so I sent it to him. We will see.

PJS
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
i just received aim mxl pista with smarty cam... have yet to install it...
I have witnessed its ease and successful use at the track many times so I finally took the plunge

TRAKCAR
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Keep us posted..

PJS
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
^ will do... I just need to find the time to get it dealt with etc.

FTS
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I think that is an excellent unit, enjoy it and yes, keep us posted please.

jenk12m
05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Can I have the rpms set up on my traqmate even if in don't have video going with it

TRAKCAR
05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes, you need the RPM module.

Traqmate is in Smyrna GA, is that close? You probably should get them to install and set it all up.
And get a Video camera with a wide angle lens, so we can properly critique your flatout laps :-)

FTS
05-03-2011, 11:01 AM
You seem to have gotten the VIR data out, the turn around was this quick? Impressive actually.

TRAKCAR
05-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Not so much. This is crapmate remember?

They e-mailed me the data and returned the DU saying all is OK and it must be the cable or laptop. Yet Erik has the same problem. I will try new cable but have my doubts.

NickW
05-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I would be interested in something from Aimsport. I don't trust my tach at all, it seems to always play catchup with the motor.

FTS
05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
After all my research, I cannot recommend one over another with this unfortunately, so what I am thinking about is to possibly cut a deal with a dealer of various units and people can pick and choose their weapon for a set discount, rather than one brand/model. But that will overcome one of the desires to exchange files, but I am sure you all can figure our what's best for you ;)

jenk12m
05-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Yes, you need the RPM module.

Traqmate is in Smyrna GA, is that close? You probably should get them to install and set it all up.
And get a Video camera with a wide angle lens, so we can properly critique your flatout laps :-)
Yea Smyrna is not far, I will get them to install and set everything up. I don't know if I'm ready for showing everybody how slow I am:-((

FTS
05-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Yea Smyrna is not far, I will get them to install and set everything up. I don't know if I'm ready for showing everybody how slow I am:-((

Just put your vids next to mine and you'll look fast regardless :p

NickW
05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I personally have a bit of experience with AIM and their Racestudio software. The back end is quite good- good enough for what I do with it. I'd like to have the dash too but the problem becomes- where do I put it to not affect daily use and/or looks? Ideally I would rather retrofit a better tach in the stock location. Although the car is "racy" it is not a racecar.

FTS
05-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Have you looked in to the IQ3 dash unit :D? It is programmable to a point that I think it can replace the stock dash and would fits nicely with a little construction. The only things that won't work probably is the turn signals and few of the computer warning lights. I have been dreaming of undertaking the project, but I depend too much on all of the functionality for daily commute.

NickW
05-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Oh man, I have a STACK 8130P dash in my GT-R... I think the AIM MXL would be real nice but the problem with most of these dashes is- buttons... on the gauge... which means a ridiculous reach around the wheel. I'm sure they have some remote toggles available, but that again means even more retrofitting on a street car. I've already hacked the hell out of my GT-R, don't really need to go down that road again!

mooty
05-03-2011, 11:12 PM
PJS, i have aim pista xl. it's a very very nice dash and can be config'd gazillion ways. the software and analysis is not easy, dont fool yourself.

use it as lap timer and instrument, it's worth the money there alone.

motec is also very good. that's better than pista. but it's very $$$ and you really need someone who have used motec for decades to help you set up and REALLY use it.

as much as i nag on these systems, i do know how to use them. but there's use them and there's USE THEM. just like we can all use xcel, but some of us can really make xcel do things that most dont even know xcel can do. motec is like that. if you REALLY know how to use it, it's amazing. but less than 10% of motec dealers really kjnow how to use them.

FTS
05-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd like to make you aware of the discussion that has been going on for couple of weeks on this very topic at Racer University: http://raceruniversity.com/campus/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=323

Racer University requires paid membership, so if you are not a member you may not be able to view the thread, but the conclusion is basically "the best product depends on your needs." Of course, the discussion goes into a lot of details on which features are more useful and which product does what best, etc. But at the end, for amateur racing or DE drivers, there is no one product that does it all for <$3K, which I of course agree. Posters on that thread are people that really know, have experience professionally and provide information that is beneficial; however, if you read all of the 4 pages (thus far) you may get even more confused than before. So, still take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks,

SH || NC
05-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Depends on what "does it all" entails of course. :) My SC setup is shy of that, even more so if the display wasn't included.

Larry Herman
05-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Have you looked in to the IQ3 dash unit :D? It is programmable to a point that I think it can replace the stock dash and would fits nicely with a little construction. The only things that won't work probably is the turn signals and few of the computer warning lights. I have been dreaming of undertaking the project, but I depend too much on all of the functionality for daily commute.
The IQ3 is a nice unit, and does work well as a racecar dash replacement, but for a street car I think that it leaves out a lot of stock functionality. I prefer using the G2X (same capability) with its smaller LED dash. It can be mounted right on the steering column and allows the view of most of the stock gauges as well as the speedo and tach. I have a few pics if anyone is interested.

FTS
05-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd be interested in the pictures Larry. I have the G2X and have been thinking of the best way to position the dash unit, but haven't put a lot of thought into yet.

Thanks,

Larry Herman
05-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Here are 2 shots taken with my iPhone & a droplight of a G2X dash installed in a GT3. You can still see the instrument cluster fairly well.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/attachments/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/476357d1285296662-racepak-iq3-thoughts-g2x-001-medium-.jpg http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/attachments/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/476358d1285296662-racepak-iq3-thoughts-g2x-002-medium-.jpg

SH || NC
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Here is my setup. The display pops off in ~10 seconds, but I leave it on all the time really.

http://www.digitalsimple.com/GT3/02.12.11%20Data%20&%20Alignment/forweb-DSC_2898.jpg (http://www.digitalsimple.com/GT3/02.12.11%20Data%20&%20Alignment/forweb-DSC_2919.jpg)

http://www.digitalsimple.com/GT3/02.12.11%20Data%20&%20Alignment/forweb-DSC_2917.jpg

http://www.digitalsimple.com/GT3/02.12.11%20Data%20&%20Alignment/forweb-DSC_2919.jpg

Larry Herman
05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
That's sweet!

SH || NC
05-12-2011, 12:32 PM
:-8

NickW
05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm getting to the point where I will probably drop some cash on a AIM EVO4 with about $4K worth of sensors. I'm looking at doing inside/outside IR tire temps and steering pot sensor. With the ECU bridge, either CAN off the ECU or OBD port, I should have plenty of data to figure out what the hell I'm doing right or wrong.

SH || NC
05-12-2011, 05:39 PM
If you do an EVO4 you won't need an ECU bridge.

FTS
05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I really like Scott' setup, better suited for my stock interior, I'll get the chance to see it in person in a week :D

NickW
05-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Like your dzus setup for your dash!

csmarx
05-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a PerformanceBox by Vbox. It's easy to use, accurate and reliable. But boring. Especially since I can't use the analysis software on my Mac... I'm now going to try Harry's Laptimer for iPhone + TomTom Car Kit. It's a $15 app + $79 mount with external gps antenna. It can work with a wireless OBD gizmo. Analysis done with $20 app for iPad. Gets great reviews. Supposedly quite accurate for lap times, but I'm guessing a bit less accurate for full data analysis. It can also use the phone camera for video. I'm going to test it alongside the Vbox, so we'll see.

24Chromium
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
For the money, HLTP is awesome! No where near as complete/capable as the Traqmates of the world, but hey! And, the best thing is the video. Instant sync to the data. The camera lens isn't wide angle, and, since the phone is in the cradle, you don't get the typical view of the driver and his hands, but... the quality of the video is vastly superior to most of the in-car cameras I've seen. Especially my POS GoPro HD camera. That thing is junk!

I used HLTP myself before I made the plunge to go Traqmate. I gifted the cradle to my friend, who now uses HLTP in his car.