PDA

View Full Version : CEL again!

TRAKCAR
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM
OK, I did 1000 track miles 2 weeks ago. After the replaced the trans cooler valve and O2 sensor the CEL was gone, no problems on the track at all.

I drive it 200 miles on the road to work and back and while sitting at a traffic light the CEL comes on :(

I drive straight to Champion.

Problem 1: We won't look at the car unless you pay for $100 1 hour of labour because "all the mods". I told the service advisor I'm not paying the car has no mods, except final exhaust because I figured they prefer not to replace Ti final exhaust every 3k miles. I'm sensitive that way.

Problem 2: They put me in a 8' by 8' office with service manager, advisor and chief mechanic. Felt like an intervention the way they were shaking hands with me.

"Your catalytic converter is bad, but we want to show it to factory rep, because you have white rings around your tailpipe and that indicates race fuel."
- I say I never used anything then Shell or Mobil 93. Every GT3 has white rings...

- Why would they want to show my car to factory?? We all know it's tracked, it just invites problems! Factory pays, I don't need the "your car is tracked bullshit". See every promo movie Porsche made of RS. On Track.

Crazy talk. Ready to kill someone.
- Instead I told them to send cat in and no problem. The only day my car WON'T be at Champion is tomorrow when factory rep is there!! No go.

End of story is that I had to bring my car to Champion Mortorsports (Great people) for (possibly warranty) repair and rent a freaking Chevy Malibu that someone vomited in on my own money.

You really get some service when you pay $150K for a car....

Was thinking about a Cayenne Turbo S for wifey, but I think I will stick with the MB V12TT for a while. Those guys are awesome with warranty work. No worries and MB's as loaner cars.

Izzone
05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Crap...... what is with service, so what car is tracked

NickW
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Motorsport is GREAT. Love the guys there, they truly know how to take care of people. Tom and the rest of the guys there have treated me well and have gained my respect through my purchase and subsequent build of my GT2 over the last two months.

jenk12m
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry about that Peter, every promo vid is so true. Sad but true

TRAKCAR
05-03-2011, 07:09 PM
NickW, you are right. I only bought a Sharky from motorsports and only met Tom once, but I always hear good stuff. I have all my hopes pinned on them now and their reputation is why I bring my car there for all services.

Trackrat
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I was chatting up a guy with a .2 GT3 at the track two weeks ago and told me his catalytic converters committed suicide as well. Blew out their guts, all cracked up inside. Chalked it up to weird and bizarre and here you are. Same thing?

Sorry to hear Peter, what a crappy service department!

FTS
05-03-2011, 07:53 PM
This is one frustrating story, and a repeating one at that. I am sorry to hear the service issues Peter.

mooty
05-03-2011, 11:23 PM
i am cheap. i only use 91 octane. never bought race fuel and i also bring fuel from local stores at low prices rather than paying $.50 more at the track....

with regular fuel, i can make white rings on exhaust tip. i can show them how to do it. i only need two tanks and i can make tip white. so it has nothing to do with race fuel. those ppl dont drive with WOT.

cats die for no reason. 50% of my 6gt3 had dead cats on 91 fuel.

8'x8' room to negotiate with you? i dont know how dutch does it. aren't you over 6' tall and > 200 lbs. if i were that big, i negotiate with my fist. porsche can warranty the rep's face.

FTS
05-04-2011, 12:30 AM
:ROFL!::ROFL!::ROFL!::ROFL!::ROFL!:

(I have no words)

TRAKCAR
05-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Just got the call.

They replaced the sensor, 50-50 chance that it is OK, but won't know for a few hundred miles. If not OK they will replace the Cat.

Champion Motorsport is great!

FTS
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
:-DD, crossing fingers.

NickW
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
:cool:Just got the call.

They replaced the sensor, 50-50 chance that it is OK, but won't know for a few hundred miles. If not OK they will replace the Cat.

:cool:

PJS
05-05-2011, 12:17 AM
so lame and frustrating

I have stopped into the almighty champion dealership on my last two trips to fla on business and was dumbfounded by the lack of common courtesy when looking at a .2 RS after identifying myself as a .1 RS owner etc... they can suck it

I am going catless - in the works as I type

Izzone
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Just got the call.

PBOC here we come!!!!!

CWS
05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Marketing and engineering loves to leverage the track theme. Accounting and service hate it. Caveat emptor. Nuff said.

FTS
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Marketing and engineering loves to leverage the track theme. Accounting and service hate it. Caveat emptor. Nuff said.
You meant "accounting and legal..." I think ;) All service guys love us, we bring more unnecessary work to them anyone else :D

CWS
05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Touche

TRAKCAR
05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Back to Champion Motorsports first thing Monday.
They will get it fixed in time for Sebring departure I'm sure.

FTS
05-08-2011, 11:36 AM
The never ending saga... :(

TRAKCAR
05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
My car is getting a new CAT this week, so all should be well.

Last weekend at Sebring my car seemed slow, I dead even with regeared 3.6's and 3.8 seemed faster on the straight. A 3.8 with headers and open exhaust pulled about 10 car lengths on me on the back straight.

Could a broken Cat slow the car down that much?

SH || NC
05-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Post cat 02 reading would send signal (and CEL) to adjust mixture, which would rob power I am guessing.

TRAKCAR
05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
They messed with the sensor parameters so the CEL would not come on. It did not all weekend. My car just felt slow.. maybe I can ask them to Dyno before and after just for kicks.

GTRad
05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Reter,

current generation cars have multiple ECU maps that adjust based on emission readings from the multiple sensors. A broken cat (loose core) will make you lose power.

I lost massive power going from my stock exhaust (Fiat) to test pipes+custom muffler+headers. The car trapped 1/8 mile 2 mph slower (as bad as 4-5 mph on the 1/4 mile). After proper reset, which is a 2 days process in the Fiat, I got my power back, and the dyno proved gains of 20 whp (what I expected) at the top, and 30 ft-lbs on the mid-range, compared to stock. Car was too loud for my taste.

Then, I switched back to my stock cats, but this time I did not perform the proper reset. I brought the car to the dyno, and it lost 48 whp. I did a computer reboot and got back 24 whp from the loss, but I'm expecting more power. Ran Sebring without a proper reset, and the car was slow on straight line.

I just did the proper reset last week, and I got the power back, I will bring it to the dyno soon.

Find out what the reset procedure is for the Porsche, the procedure for the Fiat is tedious.

TRAKCAR
05-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks Rad,

I'll call today to try to get it dyno'ed just to see before and after new Cat. still waiting for a new cat to become available..