PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Buyers: 4.0 Spec Thread- What Is Yours?

Trackrat
05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Looks like I got lucky and found an allocation (at MSRP). Those of you ordering one, what is your spec?

After a few times doing this I hope I finally get this one perfect (for me) :D

My use will be 90% track and 10% street so that means what is right for me may look a lot different than for someone else. And yes, I can feel a difference of 40 lbs in the handling of the car, thank you very much. And I appreciate now more than ever the devotion to weight reduction by the designers and engineers of the 4.0. I want to honor that effort.

With that said:

White
White wheels (for the two minutes they are clean it will look awesome)
Red/black interior
Radio/NAV Delete
Lightweight headlights
A/C delete
LiON
Sport Buckets
Leather interior (7 lbs more weight but so much classier)

Would love to go black exterior but with no A/C I would roast alive.

TRAKCAR
05-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Im just dreaming of a 4.0, so allow me;

For 90% track and 10% street:
As you spec it but I would black out the interior, uncluding black seat belts. Add white roll bar and black 6 points. Leave A/C in, or it will be 100% track. You can always take it out. No leather. Too hard to clean after spinning and does NOT belong in a Trackrat's Trakcar, plus you already have a blinged out baller GT2RS ;-) :ballkicked:

For my daily driver it would be:
Delete and add nothing.
White, silver wheels, all black inside.

But please drive and beat the living daylights out of it for max depreciation, I'll take it when you sell it in any combo you order it as long as I can put the A/C back in.

Will you leave this stock? What are you doing with that old beat up blue thing?

Trackrat
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Im just dreaming of a 4.0, so allow me;

For 90% track and 10% street:
As you spec it but I would black out the interior, uncluding black seat belts. Add white roll bar and black 6 points. Leave A/C in, or it will be 100% track. You can always take it out. No leather. Too hard to clean after spinning and does NOT belong in a Trackrat's Trakcar, plus you already have a blinged out baller GT2RS ;-) :ballkicked:

For my daily driver it would be:
Delete and add nothing.
White, silver wheels, all black inside.

But please drive and beat the living daylights out of it for max depreciation, I'll take it when you sell it in any combo you order it as long as I can put the A/C back in.

Will you leave this stock? What are you doing with that old beat up blue thing?

I am going back and forth on the A/C, sure would like to lose that 30-40 lbs :( and not need to start tearing off parts as soon as I get the car.

Not sure if going BK harness bar or rear Clubsport cage (I have one in the corner of the shop ready to go). Andreas and Walter both would remove the cage to save the weight, but for full track use I think better to put one in? If they had the confidence to race that RS with a clubsport cage it is good enough for me too.

Haha the poor beat up blue thing is so fun to drive now it is hard for me to conceive of doing anything but driving the wheels off of it. Dialed in so well for my driving style (neutrality). I suppose if I could sell it as is and not get totally killed I might consider it and apply similar tweaks to the 4.0 and make it primary track car? We shall see, pleanty of time before 4.0 delivery.

CWS
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
White
Silver Wheels
Radio delete
CF center console
Full leather
LiON battery

Akrapovic Sport Cup exhaust (-46lbs). Losing weight in the rear is a lot more important than losing it in the front. ;)

http://gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=290

Trackrat
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
White
Silver Wheels
Radio delete
CF center console
Full leather
LiON battery

Akrapovic Sport Cup exhaust (-42lbs). Losing weight in the rear is a lot more important than losing it in the front. ;)

Sweet. That Ak Ti system will be a huge weight difference. A/C delete + Ak
"race" config would be 50 lbs off the butt! Wow!

jenk12m
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
congrats pete, i would just sleep in your garage with the 4.0 going in the mix

TRAKCAR
05-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Most definitely A/C. I think you will hate no A/C, plus I will need it when I take it off your hands. A/C weight is not in the wrong place, that's why I don't bother with lightweight headlights, battery and don't value the CF fenders and such much. The 4.0 is worth price of admission IMHO.

The CS bar is nice and good enough, I would add it because you need something for the seat belts, looks nice, adds some stiffnes to the tub and will help some if you wreck bad.

Exhaust on the other hand is 42lbs that must go.

I suggest doing lots and lots of "testing" in the blue one before 4.0 shows up and bolt everything that works onto the 4.0 and sell the blue one mostly stock. I think the 3.8 would get dusty quick when parked next to a track/street ready 4.0 and the perfect street/track ready GT2RS.

Then again, like Mike says, just sell the house who wouldn't want to live with a red, white and blue RS, one in each flavor sitting in the mancave all ready, willing and extremely able :-)

CWS
05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
A/C is a must-have item IMHO unless you live in Alaska or plan to run a Cool Suit. I ran mine full blast at every track event last summer.

FTS
05-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Sooo delicious, craving started already :D

Do you think they will put the usual Porsche emblem on the hood, or just a sticker of it? 996 GT3 RS only had a sticker for weight savings, albeit on the front only :-DDD

Trackrat
05-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Sooo delicious, craving started already :D

Do you think they will put the usual Porsche emblem on the hood, or just a sticker of it? 996 GT3 RS only had a sticker for weight savings, albeit on the front only :-DDD

My betting money would be on sticker for sure. It's a carbon hood, can't imagine drilling it for a Porsche "medallion".

I hear you guys on the A/C, the thought of that 40lbs is killing me though. I don't know what I will do...:-(( What does a cool suit unit weigh?

CWS
05-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I hear you guys on the A/C, the thought of that 40lbs is killing me though. I don't know what I will do...:-(( What does a cool suit unit weigh?

Less, but you've got to strap it down in the passenger footwell, which usually is done via webbing strung through metal loops drilled into the floor, and you've got to constantly manage the ice. Save it for the dedicated 3.8 RS rat.

Izzone
05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Add AC.....you will regret it

The rest of the spec is fine

TRAKCAR
05-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if no condensor would help with more brake cooling on one side for brakes.
CUP cars don't have that one radiator in the way right?

CWS
05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
My betting money would be on sticker for sure. It's a carbon hood, can't imagine drilling it for a Porsche "medallion".

Answer is 10sec in...

RXHNJGf3A5k&feature=player_embedded

PJS
05-10-2011, 06:59 PM
AC yes
stripe delete
and your specs look good to me... white wheels will be tough to keep clean, but I like the look.

Crazy Canuck
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Can someone post an option list pls? Thanks.

Oh and why don't I have the PCA National Instructor logo beside my name? I clicked the tab.

stujelly
05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey guys you missed an important and expensive option BRAKES.

What are you doing there??

mooty
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
when someone finds me an msrp car ;-)

White
silver wheels
black/black interior
Radio/NAV Delete
decal delete
Sport Buckets
steel brakes

FTS
05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Oh and why don't I have the PCA National Instructor logo beside my name? I clicked the tab.
Sorry Chris, my oversight, fixed now.

Izzone
05-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Sorry Chris, my oversight, fixed now.

Faith.....me too

CWS
05-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Hey guys you missed an important and expensive option BRAKES.

What are you doing there??

Didn't miss a thing. Trackrat learned his lesson the hard way and I never made the mistake to begin with. Steel for the win.

24Chromium
05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Pete, I'm so grateful that you paddocked next to me at the recent GGR event. I can live vicariously thru you!

I'm envious! Enjoy her in style.

stujelly
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Didn't miss a thing. Trackrat learned his lesson the hard way and I never made the mistake to begin with. Steel for the win.

I agree, made the same mistake here too. Just curious. If I could do it all over, I would go steel all the way.

Good luck.

Trackrat
05-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Pete, I'm so grateful that you paddocked next to me at the recent GGR event. I can live vicariously thru you!

I'm envious! Enjoy her in style.

Oh please...you have an amazing car to enjoy and you drive it very well. I feel fortunate to simply share a run session with you! :pals:

So I spec'd out the car today:

Darth Vader Car
Black
Red/Black interior
Carbon buckets (of course)
Black wheels
LW headlights
CDR-30 delete

That's it! Dark and light. Should have a build date tomorrow. Very exciting. You all talked me out of the Air cond delete and I still feel bad for not clicking the delete box ::-/

Some real enthusiasts have ordered/will order this car and that makes me happy to see. Should be some amazing on track video on the 'tubes by fall of this year.

CWS
05-16-2011, 06:27 AM
You all talked me out of the Air cond delete and I still feel bad for not clicking the delete box ::-/

Don't think that I could delete A/C but I'm happy to talk you into doing so if want. Just say the word. :D

FTS
05-16-2011, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't delete the AC. You never know, there may come a day you may want to sell it, and besides few areas in the west coast I don't think there many other that can live without an AC. That is one option that makes a difference IMHO.

IPB-Autosport
05-16-2011, 10:39 AM
What makes the RS 4.0 special is the fact that it is so good yet still a street car. Radio delete, sure. But I would keep a/c and the HID headlights. Eventually you get diminishing returns trying to save the last couple lbs on a street car.

If you're ready to get rid of all creature comforts, maybe a cup car is in your future.

Trackrat
05-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Don't think that I could delete A/C but I'm happy to talk you into doing so if want. Just say the word. :D

yeah yeah...;)

I wouldn't delete the AC. You never know, there may come a day you may want to sell it, and besides few areas in the west coast I don't think there many other that can live without an AC. That is one option that makes a difference IMHO.

I know...:-((

What makes the RS 4.0 special is the fact that it is so good yet still a street car. Radio delete, sure. But I would keep a/c and the HID headlights. Eventually you get diminishing returns trying to save the last couple lbs on a street car.

If you're ready to get rid of all creature comforts, maybe a cup car is in your future.

To me this is more of a barely street legal race car but I agree one must eventually fish or cut bait :-8

The dealer and I wrapped it all up today and popped the car into the system. July build :D Very exciting. I can't wait to hammer this bad-boy on track.

TRAKCAR
05-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Exciting indeed.

Sounds like August would be a good time to come check out the mancave ;-)

Trackrat
05-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Exciting indeed.

Sounds like August would be a good time to come check out the mancave ;-)

lol...September, Aug is too damn hot. Besides there will be at least a week of prep- cage/belts/etc (Akropovic?). I will be a stressed basket case :o

TRAKCAR
05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Can't be worse then South Florida..

CWS
05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Just reviewing specs between 3.8 and 4.0 RS. Didn't realize how much wider the powerband is on the new 4.0.

3.8 RS: HP-450@7900; TQ-317@6750 Powerband: 1150 RPM
4.0 RS: HP-500@8250; TQ-339@5750 Powerband: 2500 RPM

Should yield a car that's much easier to drive on the street and drive quickly on the track. Pretty impressive stuff.

jenk12m
05-16-2011, 11:42 PM
It's one awesome machine

Glock Guru
05-25-2011, 06:39 PM
It was simple for me (as a starting point) as always.

White, black interior, black wheels, light weight headlights, radio delete.

-Troy

FTS
05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Excellent choices, I would have picked same, except I like the white wheels :)

TRAKCAR
05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
It was simple for me (as a starting point) as always.

White, black interior, black wheels, light weight headlights, radio delete.

:-DD

Black seat belts?
For me toss up black wheels and grey wheels
I'd keep radio and xenon and diet even harder...:whistle:

Glock Guru
05-27-2011, 06:57 PM
:-DD

Black seat belts?
For me toss up black wheels and grey wheels
I'd keep radio and xenon and diet even harder...:whistle:

I will be removing the stock seat belts anyway, so the color did not matter.

-Troy

Trackrat
05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
I will be removing the stock seat belts anyway, so the color did not matter.

-Troy

:rolleyes: Hmm, harnesses and a full cage in your future? Hmmm?

jenk12m
05-27-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm sure Troy has something special in the works

Glock Guru
05-28-2011, 07:17 AM
:rolleyes: Hmm, harnesses and a full cage in your future? Hmmm?

Well, a roll bar and seat belts at a minimum. I think I will also transfer my suspension components and the sequential shifter set up. All this unless I sell the car to someone. Any takers?

-Troy

Glock Guru
05-28-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm sure Troy has something special in the works

Like the man said, I'm going to take the RS 4.0 and add some "extra spices". I would love to buy one and keep it stock and not race it, but it's just not in my nature.

-Troy

TRAKCAR
05-28-2011, 07:50 AM
I think I will also transfer my suspension components and the sequential shifter set up. All this unless I sell the car to someone. Any takers?

The colonel is famous enough that there should be takers as-is.
The car is set up nicely!

Glock Guru
05-28-2011, 08:58 AM
The colonel is famous enough that there should be takers as-is.
The car is set up nicely!

Send them my way.

-Troy

TRAKCAR
05-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Doing so!

CWS
06-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Underwhelmed by Silver wheel optipn. Switched to Black wheels.

http://gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=381

http://gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=380

http://gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=36&pictureid=379

TRAKCAR
06-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I think Silver is perfect!

CWS
06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
I think Silver is perfect!

Saving Silver for the track wheels. ;)

Trackrat
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Saving Silver for the track wheels. ;)

I switched to White paint with white wheels :eek:

CWS
06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I switched to White paint with white wheels :eek:

Seriously! From the full-Vadar look?

Trackrat
06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Yup.

And let me tell you I have been agonizing over the decision between Darth Vader and Snow White :-((

Best capture yet I have heard of the exhaust...whooo-wee!

DzV-AY2z5gA

TRAKCAR
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds delicious!

FTS
06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
i switched to white paint with white wheels :eek:

:-dd:-dd:-dd

jenk12m
06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Sounds awesome and those F1 tracks look sooooo smooth. Turn 1 5th gear, so I can only imagine...

csmarx
06-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Have any of you considered European delivery option? When else would you ever get to drive this car at the Nürburg Ring? With a July build you could join the 6 of us going so far!

-Christian

Trackrat
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Have any of you considered European delivery option? When else would you ever get to drive this car at the Nürburg Ring? With a July build you could join the 6 of us going so far!

-Christian

Then I have the agony of the multi-month wait to get it over here. Too painful :(
Plus I want to clear film it before I cover it in rockchips...lol.

To clarify, you and other friends are going there to take 4.0 deliveries? Or various Porsche deliveries? Do you have a thread on this adventure somewhere? If not kindly start a new one as I would love to hear all about it.

:-8

TRAKCAR
06-14-2011, 05:07 PM
My car was build Feb 23, so I had to cancel Euro delivery because there was 2' of snow last year in Germany around that time.

I really hate that, I figure I ship my car back this summer, but it turned out that is easier said then done. Mancation will have to suffice this year.

I would do Euro delivery for sure. Pete, reconcider please. I have pages and pages of links and prep work I never used. Just re-read Team Drug Money's thread frrom last year. It was Epic and published in Panorama!

CWS
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Then I have the agony of the multi-month wait to get it over here. Too painful :(
Plus I want to clear film it before I cover it in rockchips...lol.
:-8

Would like to do euro delivery but have issues for all the reasons Savy already pointed out plus November delivery not the best time for running around the Alps. Then there's the fact that BMW offers a discount for Euro delivery while Porsche charges $5k.......

mrmuller
07-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi all, I am new here and thought I would chime in. Mine is due Oct/Nov sometime, which is fine by me as I will have my right shoulder rebuilt at the end of August, so it will be a nice get well for next year. The car wont be tracked (save for a day here and there) as I have a 6GT3 specifically for that and wanted something that the wife and I could enjoy both as an unbelievable car and something a little special and different from most.

I must have been lucky. I called my dealer and the allocation was available (this was 4 weeks after release). No question it was list price. Didnt even want a deposit, but I insisted as I wanted to avoid any potential games.

Mine is -

White
White wheels
Full Leather, Black
Alcantara lower console
PCCB
Light headlights
No radio

TRAKCAR
07-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Great first post!

Congrats on a great car and my compliments on the specs!

FTS
07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi all, I am new here and thought I would chime in. Mine is due Oct/Nov sometime, which is fine by me as I will have my right shoulder rebuilt at the end of August, so it will be a nice get well for next year.

Mine is -

White
White wheels
Full Leather, Black
Alcantara lower console
PCCB
Light headlights
No radio
Welcome to the community mrmuller. You are very lucky to find the allocation, and very nice configuration, congratulations :-DD

mrmuller
07-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. There is a story to the allocation. In 2009 I bought the S5 and the GTS from this dealer when they where selling nothing. They proceeded to screw me royaly on service, culminating in the painting of the rear caliper on the GTS silver on a wheel repair. That night I got an email from the GM asking me how my service was. Let's just say at the end of it, they owed me one and I called it in.

If it wasn't for the shoulder, I would do euro delivery just for the experience and to have some fun and memories with the wife.

MM

FTS
07-27-2011, 11:19 AM
It is awesome that the dealership/GM honored the request based on past issues; as we have seen in Mooty's case with his dealership, some just would not have cared, at least not to this level.

Congratulations again, please let us know how it is once you receive it.

mooty
07-28-2011, 11:09 PM
congrats mrmuller.
at least your dealer answered the favor, bravo.

oh, my dealer in case you dont know since u are new is CARLSEN. and do not buy anything from them. i got a whole box of dirt i can dig out on them. this is not someone you want to do business with...

off my box now.

FTS
07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Lolol.

csmarx
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Has anyone received their 4.0 yet? I demand pictures and video immediately when any of you get it!!! :D

-Christian

TRAKCAR
08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Can't wait to see the first video's and impression!!
Please post ASAP.

CWS
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Something to hold you over:

U16CaIqbyCI

CWS
08-14-2011, 04:58 PM
November build, December delivery. Ugh. By the time I get to drive this thing we'll be reading about the 991 GT3. Decisions, decisions.....

FTS
08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
That's a long wait and taking it during winter won't be fun, but at least you are getting one ;)

W8MM
08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Mine will be built around October 19 -- so delivery stateside around Thanksgiving. Too cold by then to enjoy it, but dreaming about Spring will be pleasant :-DD

Glock Guru
08-16-2011, 08:36 PM
My production finish date is first week of September.

-Troy

jenk12m
08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
looks perfect in that video with the silver wheels

W8MM
08-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I just returned from a boondoggle to the Porsche development center. At the conclusion, I got a 3-hot-lap ride around the Weissach test track from Romain Dumas in a white RS 4.0 with white wheels and PCCB. What a hoot! He did hand-brake turns and could have had the car posing for those famous Auto Motor und Sport 30-degree slip-angle wild photos they always manage. The car was absolutely toss-able and I can't wait to get mine out on the track!!!

TRAKCAR
08-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Sounds very cool, I wish I would have been there!!
Pictures??

BlkGT3
08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
All those NE winter deliveries should head to Fl in January and show TRACKCAR what he is missing. :kiss: Sebring would be a good break in event. ;)

Peter

TRAKCAR
08-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Exactly.

Guys don't waste time and get salt on the 4.0.

Let me do that anoying break in procedure and all the hassle of getting it track ready.

Just ship to my door :-DDD /Orbit instead and I will have it at Sebring for you ready to go with 500+ gentle break in miles, Roll bar and seat belts installed a set of BBS, Hoosiers, SRF, PFC pads.

I will do at least 10+ Sebring days between November and February. You should too. :pals:

Or maybe you prefer to sit in your (Hopefully heated) garage wax is 5x and watch TRAKCAR's flatout video's on Youtube instead while you wait for the snow to melt :ballkicked:

W8MM
08-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Sounds very cool, I wish I would have been there!!
Pictures??

Sorry, no pictures. Porsche AG personnel safely stored (confiscated? ;-)) all cameras and mobile phones and made us re-sign non-disclosure agreements before we could begin the festivities.

FFaust
08-29-2011, 07:10 AM
I just returned from a boondoggle to the Porsche development center. At the conclusion, I got a 3-hot-lap ride around the Weissach test track from Romain Dumas in a white RS 4.0 with white wheels and PCCB. What a hoot! He did hand-brake turns and could have had the car posing for those famous Auto Motor und Sport 30-degree slip-angle wild photos they always manage. The car was absolutely toss-able and I can't wait to get mine out on the track!!!
Wow Mike, what an opportunity. Good for you.

Going to be a long winter of anticipation for a lot of Northerners.

Skypalace
08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Coolsuit weight depends on size. Large is about 30 lb with ice, I run the small FAST setup that's about half that, the ice will last about an hour on a very hot day, 90-120 minutes on cooler days. I run it any time the ambient temp is above 70, and often below that for practice & warmup.

For me it's not about staying cool per se (once I'm on track I don't notice temperature or other physical discomfort etc., I'm too focused on driving), it's about not getting so hot that my mental or physical performance is compromised. Pre-cool suit I was starting to making mental errors and having to back off the pace towards the end of races on hot days. Of course it's the day I got heatstroke (running 5 race groups on a 104 degree day) that broke the camel's back :-)

I'll gladly add the 15 lb. for increased mental performance, even minimal, in the last half of a race. Given that I'm ~2800lb with driver, that's .05% extra weight, or about two gallons of gas, or about 2.25 horsepower given power/weight.

If you're that worried about performance, the engine drag from the AC compressor will hurt you more than the weight of the AC. I'm not sure if the Porsche disengages the AC compressor when at 100% throttle, if it does then you should be fine, as it just means you're burning a little more gas (ie. at say 45% throttle rather than 40% throttle in a part-throttle sweeper) rather than reducing full-on performance.

plimagt3
09-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Pete, I saw your car at Pearce today (Tuesday 21 Sept); wow! More beautiful in person than any pix. Enjoy!