PDA

View Full Version : How Different Is Driving a Cup Car?

FTS
05-14-2011, 08:19 PM
So how difficult is it to move from a street GT3 to a GT3 Cup? When you first get in a Cup and you try to go, what happens? :D

It sounds like a silly question, even to me, but I am sure it is such a different environment, I wonder how much of a steep curve it is to learn to drive it.

Thank you,

CWS
05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Moving from modern street GT3 to 996 Cup is relatively easy transition. The lower weight of the Cup is offset by less HP (370-390 vs 435-450) so absolute speed difference is not that great. 996 Cups have standard manual transmission and ABS providing a level of forgiveness not found in 997 Cup.

What you notice initially: noise and immediacy of controls creates much higher sensory load. Suspension is considerably stiffer which translates to much less vertical motion. Assuming you're running slicks, slip angles are lower and threshold between sliding and breakaway is much narrower. Cornering limits/speeds are ultimately higher...once you get there. Major difference between learning to drive it and learning to drive it fast. Can't speak to the latter. :confused:

Re: 997 Cup, can only speak from the right-hand seat, but the big difference is the sequential box, which ratchets the intensity level up a healthy couple of notches. Lack of ABS demands higher level of braking skill...so I'm told. And it's a healthy chunk faster.

bman
05-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Send me and I promise to post a detailed report! :)

http://www.porschedriving.com/Porsche--Porsche-Sport-Driving-School--GT3-Cup.aspx

FTS
05-15-2011, 10:01 AM
You read my mind :D that is an awesome program I think.

I had a huge sensory overload the first time I was on the track with the GT3 coming from a Cayman, I just cannot imagine how it would be in a cup car. The squential transmission itself must be something, I hear how difficult to it is to get it rolling even.

I am just curious about the driving experience, I gotta find a cup car to try it out, I wouldn't be a good advocate without such an experience even if it is just for few minutes, would I?

CWS
05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
You read my mind :D that is an awesome program I think.

I had a huge sensory overload the first time I was on the track with the GT3 coming from a Cayman, I just cannot imagine how it would be in a cup car. The squential transmission itself must be something, I hear how difficult to it is to get it rolling even.

I am just curious about the driving experience, I gotta find a cup car to try it out, I wouldn't be a good advocate without such an experience even if it is just for few minutes, would I?

Happy to give you a ride if we happen to land at the same event. Maybe NJMP?

FTS
05-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you so much for the offer. I guess you have a passenger seat? I'd love to experience the drive. Which NJMP event are you scheduled to go?

CWS
05-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you so much for the offer. I guess you have a passenger seat? I'd love to experience the drive. Which NJMP event are you scheduled to go?

Whichever one I can talk my transport into attending. Keep you posted.

FTS
05-15-2011, 08:28 PM
:pals: :-8

Thusly
05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Moving from modern street GT3 to 996 Cup is a relatively easy transition. The lower weight of the Cup is offset by less HP (370-390 vs 435-450) so absolute speed difference is not that great. 996 Cups have standard manual transmission and ABS providing a level of forgiveness not found in 997 Cup.

What you notice initially: noise and immediacy of controls creates much higher sensory load. Suspension is considerably stiffer which translates to much less vertical motion. Assuming you're running slicks, slip angles are lower and threshold between sliding and breakaway is much narrower. Cornering limits/speeds are ultimately higher...once you get there. Major difference between learning to drive it and learning to drive it fast. Can't speak to the latter. :confused:

Re: 997 Cup, can only speak from the right-hand seat, but the big difference is the sequential box, which ratchets the intensity level up a healthy couple of notches. Lack of ABS demands higher level of braking skill...so I'm told. And it's a healthy chunk faster.

+100

Agree with all comments: going from MPSC or Hoosiers to real slicks requires far better car control skills and some adjustment (i.e. seat time) to truly put a cup on the limit. Once you getting heat in the slicks, which requires pretty aggressive driving (imho, and particularly getting heat in the fronts), you will be amazed how incredible the car grips. And going back to a street car from a cup will truly expose all the limitations of even the most prepped street car for the track (nothing like weight reduction).

A 7 cup takes longer to learn when coming from a 6 or 6 cup; no abs, adjustable brake bias, having excellent heel and toes with a sequential, and better aero on a 7 cup. That said, once you learn a sequential, you never want to go back......

Trackrat
05-15-2011, 10:20 PM
+100

Agree with all comments: going from MPSC or Hoosiers to real slicks requires far better car control skills and some adjustment (i.e. seat time) to truly put a cup on the limit. Once you getting heat in the slicks, which requires pretty aggressive driving (imho, and particularly getting heat in the fronts), you will be amazed how incredible the car grips. And going back to a street car from a cup will truly expose all the limitations of even the most prepped street car for the track (nothing like weight reduction).

A 7 cup takes longer to learn when coming from a 6 or 6 cup; no abs, adjustable brake bias, having excellent heel and toes with a sequential, and better aero on a 7 cup. That said, once you learn a sequential, you never want to go back......

Fred- great to see you here! Welcome and look forward to your contributions :-DD

Pete

FTS
05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
That is a challenge I would look forward to, driving cars that are more and more difficult. That is one of the reason I was set on the GT3, thus it hasn't disappointed me LOL, quite challenging to get to its limits.

Thank you very much for the all responses.

Thusly
05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Fred- great to see you here! Welcome and look forward to your contributions :-DD

Pete

Pete - thanks and congrats on the GT2RS (and write-up)!

Izzone
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Street car....sex with a condom

Cup car.....bare back sex with a supermodel

jenk12m
05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
lmao...

FTS
05-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I still am not sure what the difference is, I haven't done it bare back :D

Larry Herman
05-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Moving from modern street GT3 to 996 Cup is relatively easy transition. The lower weight of the Cup is offset by less HP (370-390 vs 435-450) so absolute speed difference is not that great.I respectfully disagree. Unless you are not driving it at its limit, you do not realize how difficult it is. A GT3 is lazy as compared to a Cup, and the reactions are so much slower it is not even comparable. A street GT3 is very compliant and has a high level of grip that stays fairly consistent. A Cup is very stiff, and its higher level of grip is constantly and immediately changing.

When I had my GT3, I raced a 996 Cup at Summit Point (in 2005 on the old bumpy surface), mistakenly thinking that it would be very similar. I used to stuff my GT3 deep into turn 1, trail brake it towards the apex and then jump on the power. Back in the day, 1:21s were easy. The first time that I tried that with the Cup, when I got on the power it literally hopped up in the air and pointed itself directly at the apex, 90 degrees to the track! "I guess that we are not in Kansas any more Toto!" It took a different type of driving, much more reactive and correcting, to make that Cup go fast, but it did and I got it down to a 1:17. But it was enough to get me hooked, sell the GT3 and get an RSA setup just as stiff as a Cup. Now with a friend, I hope to be back in a 996 Cup (as shown) this season.

CWS
05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
So how difficult is it to move from a street GT3 to a GT3 Cup? When you first get in a Cup and you try to go, what happens? :D

It sounds like a silly question, even to me, but I am sure it is such a different environment, I wonder how much of a steep curve it is to learn to drive it.

Thank you,

Larry: Valid observations but my response was targeted at FTS' question, which I understood to be more about initial impressions and differences when you go from a street GT3 to a Cup and less about what it takes to race and be fast in the car. I think we agree on the suspension and handling differences. As for street tire grip staying consistent, I found MPSC grip on my street GT3 would change significantly over a session and over the life of the tire, albeit without as severe a penalty as slicks when they fall off. Full disclosure: I've only run my Cup on used slicks to date, which have seen their best days by the time I get them. But fresh slicks are inbound and I'm told they're more addcitive than crack so perhaps I'll have a whole new perspective soon....

FTS
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Yes, for me at this time, I am trying to prepare myself for the shock of getting into one the very first time. I am looking forward to it, but quite apprehensive about it as well :)

Being fast is not my objective, but I also find Larry's comments very interesting, because I would not have expected to change my driving style in a cup car. Live and learn...

Btw, CWS and Larry, if you could find the time, I'd love to hear your comments about the GT3 Cup Experience program, even if it just some initial thoughts:

http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?p=1766#post1766

Larry Herman
05-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I think we agree on the suspension and handling differences. As for street tire grip staying consistent, I found MPSC grip on my street GT3 would change significantly over a session and over the life of the tire, albeit without as severe a penalty as slicks when they fall off. Full disclosure: I've only run my Cup on used slicks to date, which have seen their best days by the time I get them. But fresh slicks are inbound and I'm told they're more addcitive than crack so perhaps I'll have a whole new perspective soon....MPSCs are the most "slick like" of the R compounds in that they need to get hot to develop their grip, where as an R6 sticks pretty good when cold, so it is not surprising you have found a significant change from cold to hot. That is even more so with fresh racing slicks.

The other point that I was making is that with its soft springs, a GT3 will track fairly evenly over bumps and undulations as it does a good job of maintaining even grip levels. A cup car will bounce and hop over the same surfaces, and so its grip, thought higher, will change radically as the suspension unloads (no grip) and re-loads (lots of grip). It will require a lot more movement of the wheel to manage that changing grip.

CWS
05-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Yes, for me at this time, I am trying to prepare myself for the shock of getting into one the very first time. I am looking forward to it, but quite apprehensive about it as well :)

Being fast is not my objective, but I also find Larry's comments very interesting, because I would not have expected to change my driving style in a cup car. Live and learn...

Btw, CWS and Larry, if you could find the time, I'd love to hear your comments about the GT3 Cup Experience program, even if it just some initial thoughts:

http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?p=1766#post1766

No first-hand knowledge of GT3 Cup Experience. Might be a way to go for some but based purely on economics there are much cheaper ways to get behind the wheel of a Cup with coaching included.

TRAKCAR
05-20-2011, 05:56 PM
I hear that the '05 CUP cars are getting less cost effective because it is harder to get parts.
I figure when I get even fatter and lazier I buy a cup and just go do DE with full track support while I drive to the track in my comfy massage A/C seat equipped Daily driver.