PDA

View Full Version : LSD...DOA What to do???

SMF32s
05-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Was AXing the GT3 yesterday and in the middle of a run, I started spinning one rear tire and have never done that before. The car was all over the place from that point on. I am pretty sure the LSD let go.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning and have a choice to make. I already spoke to them and they are looking into the ability of them paying for the labor and I provide the internals of my choice since it is still under warranty.

Any reccommendations for the best and most robust LSD without killing the bank account. Thanks for your input.

Stu

'07 GT3

bman
05-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Any reccommendations for the best and most robust LSD without killing the bank account. Thanks for your input.

I've worked with TPC in Jessup with my diff. Levitas knows a lot about it and does all the diff builds himself. I'd suggest speaking with Tom about pricing.

FTS
05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Stu, first I apologize for missing the event again yesterday, but I had a very busy weekend.

It is very likely that the clutch pack is worn out and the gears/ramps are doing OK. However, I would suggest you purchase Guard Transmission internals and have the dealer take care of the labor. The internals, I believe (not sure), should be around $2200-2500, and labor about 4 hours. Or you can just have the dealer replace it with stock unit, so you pay nothing as I did. But it probably won't last too long either.

SMF32s
05-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Stu, first I apologize for missing the event again yesterday, but I had a very busy weekend.

It is very likely that the clutch pack is worn out and the gears/ramps are doing OK. However, I would suggest you purchase Guard Transmission internals and have the dealer take care of the labor. The internals, I believe (not sure), should be around $2200-2500, and labor about 4 hours. Or you can just have the dealer replace it with stock unit, so you pay nothing as I did. But it probably won't last too long either.

Fatih, I spoke with the guys at Guard earlier and they say given all of the circumstances and the fact it is under warranty until 11/2013, go with the factiry unit for now. He said the only change that makes sense for my uisage is to got to a torque biasing unit and that is a big job that the warranty will not cover.

I'll wait to see what the dealer says.

The event yesterday was fun and fast. Did ok but not quite as well as last time.:beatinghead:

Stu

FTS
05-16-2011, 02:35 PM
The event yesterday was fun and fast. Did ok but not quite as well as last time.:beatinghead:

Well, a bad diff will take the wind out of the sails for sure. I hope it is good news from the dealer. Which one you are taking the car to? If I may suggest, Tyson's Porsche would be an excellent choice, may want to talk to Chad Morrison, the service manager, and even tell him that I referred you (although it may work against you :D)

Cheers,

lightweight
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I've worked with TPC in Jessup with my diff. Levitas knows a lot about it and does all the diff builds himself. I'd suggest speaking with Tom about pricing.

+1. They will even go so far as to suggest ramps / specs based on your intended usage.

GTRad
05-23-2011, 08:12 PM
For a 997 GT3/GT2 or RS and autoX, OSGiken Superlock. For track use: OSGiken, Guard or Porsche Motorsports. I have a preference for the OSGiken.

BlkGT3
05-28-2011, 08:54 AM
For a 997 GT3/GT2 or RS and autoX, OSGiken Superlock. For track use: OSGiken, Guard or Porsche Motorsports. I have a preference for the OSGiken.

Rad,

A convert to OSgiken Hmmm:-8 I have used OSgiken for several years in both Porsche 6GT2 and Honda S2000 race car and been very pleased. I am not saying they are better than Guard ( I have never used a Guard unit ) but OSgiken is a very viable alternative. ;)

Peter