PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Has Really Spoiled Us Bad...

FTS
06-25-2011, 11:57 PM
I dropped the car at the dealer for a rattle from the passenger seat and detailing (they do a superb job with the detailing for a very reasonable price, Tyson's Porsche, a.k.a. HBL). I got a Audi A4 as a loaner. I never owned an Audi, but it has always been in my list of cars with every purchase decision; the S4, RS4, S5, R8, etc.

I had the car for couple of days and returned it yesterday and unfortunately it was a let down for me. Particularly the steering and chassis control. It is a really quite car with good materials inside, but the drive is so unexciting and wobbly that I would buy a BMW 1 or 3 series before an Audi A4; and 6 years ago I swore I'd never buy a BMW again.

The steering was quite numb, would not self-center and had absolutely no feel. Add to that the Cadilac-like low-frequency wobbling side to side, the car has dropped of my list of potentials.

Also, every magazine praises the ergonomics in Audis, but I am failing to understand why. The controls required too many buttons to push, weird steering controls and the aircon controls were not very inviting. Overall interior gets a 5 out of 10 from me. I am not sure what all the magazines are fussing about, the Porsche 987/997 interior is so much better IMHO, and the new Cayenne/Panamera interiors should be even better.

I though I'd share.

mooty
06-26-2011, 12:39 AM
i have had S4, RS4, S6
i prefer my GMC 2500 much much much better.

FTS
06-26-2011, 01:11 AM
I think I agree with you, GMC 2500 :D

lawjdc
06-26-2011, 09:46 AM
was it a new generation A-4? curious, because A4 / S4 has been at the top of my list for a new daily driver for Mrs. lawjdc

FTS
06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I am not sure what model year it was, looked new and had 6K mi. on it, a 2.0T.

Btw, couple of other things that bothered me were 1) throttle response was horrendous, probably one of the worst I tried thus far, very slow off the line even in manual mode; and related to this 2) it had 8 forward gears, just ridiculous if you ask me. Going at 30 mph it would be in 4th or 5th gear. Switching to manual mode was more work than needed as I had to constantly shift up and down to keep the revs between 2-3K (redline was somewhere between 6-6.5K), just annoyed the heck out of me.

I am sorry for being so negative, but I was expecting much better.

BlkGT3
06-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I think I agree with you, GMC 2500 :D

That makes 3 for 2500HD Diesel for me.;)

Peter

mooty
06-26-2011, 06:45 PM
^ nice, i am planning to get a 3500 dually. size matters.

for DD, doug, spyder or mini cooper s. both are much more fun than A3, A4

you coming to GGR or NCRC @ TH in july?

GT3Racerich
06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
My wife has a BMW 3 series wagon with the sport package. She loves the car as do I. It does what it is meant to do perfectly. We picked it up at the factory and had a great time on vacation with it.
The time is coming for a replacement and we have been thinking about an A4 Avant with the S line package. I have heard what you say about the A4 from others. I do not know how much difference the S line package will make and we are not about to find one on the lot to drive.
I guess I want to like the Audi, many of them I do like, but the A4 just does not do it for me(for us, I have created a monster)
BMW, Audi, and Mercedes all make much hotter wagons for Europe but we can not get them here.
We will keep our options open but I think it will be another BMW.
Rich

FTS
06-26-2011, 08:14 PM
I really like the idea of a wagon for daily. For long time, I wanted to have a Outback, but made it into a crossover with its silly high suspension, so that's off the list now. I really dig the Merc's E-series wagon, but I haven't driven one yet.

lawjdc
06-30-2011, 07:51 AM
^ nice, i am planning to get a 3500 dually. size matters.

for DD, doug, spyder or mini cooper s. both are much more fun than A3, A4

you coming to GGR or NCRC @ TH in july?

Funny you should say that - just ran across a 05 Mini Cooper S that was near perfect, so I bought it. It rained yesterday morning here and it was really, really fun to drive to work. No plans for TH in July - maybe September . . .

TRAKCAR
06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I really dig the Merc's E-series wagon, but I haven't driven one yet.

+1 The Audi RS6 Avant is not available here, so I have been trying to talk wifey into driving an E63 wagon, but so far no go...She likes Cayenne :-)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

mooty
06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
cayenne? bought one for wife three months ago. 8500 miles now, blah.... over rated truck that tows nothing.

doug, who's at TH in sept. we will have a lot of GT3 at TH for both next weekend and the one after.

i will also be at LS with POC.

i never cared for mini. then my sister wanted to test one. we drove it. she ordered one. it got here, i drove it. wont give it back to her. it's still in my garage LOL.