PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point DE with Potomac

FTS
07-18-2011, 09:58 AM
We were at Summit Point this past weekend, the weather was so nice on Friday and morning of Saturday, almost like spring. But it got hotter Saturday afternoon and Sunday, although it was not humid.

The best news? They have new bathrooms at Summit and they are NICE! :) Also, they paved the track once again and they did a great job this time around. There was grip all around, especially on T1 more than I ever remember. T3 was also pretty good, but a little bumpy at the apex that jumped the rear and took away a little confidence, we had to really play with the steering to keep the car off the sand box on the exit. T6, the carrousel, was also very good, very smooth and grippier than before. They smoothed out T9 a lot, so we picked up some speed past the apex there.

The company was great as well, good social environment, beers after track close and corn :D I was lucky that I had a great student; it was here first time on track, but had autox and stage rallying experience, so she knew how to control the car, just had learn the line, which only took a day. Her speeds on some corners were getting close to mine, especially on T3, and I was just smiles ear to ear.

My car keeps doing well, except that I lost some wheel weight I think getting on the gators on T10, and the shaking got bad enough that I did not run the last session on Sunday. I ran shotgun on a lot of GT2s and Turbos, and boy was that a treat or what. Amazing thrust back there. There were a lot of cars for this track, especially in blue and black groups, and it looked like the black group got a little slower this weekend for some reason (I did not get faster, that I know), I had to zig-zag through cars more than few times on straights and corners, but overall it was not a huge problem, manageable.

bman
07-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Enjoyed the weekend too!

I was looking forward to getting some time on Summit Point with the GT2. I was there in March but only ran about 1 1/2 sessions. This weekend I ran all sessions both Saturday & Sunday. I have more days at Summit Point than any other track and it remains one of the most challenging for me. Its subtle and not so subtle track surface imperfections make it hard to drive confidently.

The recent repairs have improved the track surface and facilities. I thought there was improved grip too, especially in T5-T9. T9 still has a considerable dip but it's not as harsh. I found the turn-in for T3 was funky and bumpy. Braking into T1 was wild and unsettling at times. But overall, much improved and I look forward to driving it again next month.

Oh.....there was a 935 there! On track!:-DD I believe recently acquired by a long time Potomac PCA'r. Love that he was out flogging it :D

FTS
07-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for giving me a ride in the GT2 and riding with me Brian, enjoyed both and learned.

That 935 was a sight to be seen on the track for sure; I could not believe how wide it was, barely fitting on the track between T7 and 8 :D

SH || NC
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd like to get up there at some point, based on our discussions. That's a long tow though, for sure. Do you guys know of any 3-day events?

FTS
07-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Yep, the best one probably is the PorscheFest next month, 3 days full of many different activities, including autox if you choose to do so. The next one is in October, season closer for Potomac, cool weather makes for great lap times :), but watch for deer :D

http://gt2gt3cup.org/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=8&day=2011-8-12&c=1

http://gt2gt3cup.org/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=12&day=2011-10-29&c=1

landjet
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
There's a 3 day event at Summit Point on August 12,13,14. Come on up!

Fatih and Brian, great seeing you guys and looking forward to the August DE.