PDA

View Full Version : Tire Manufacturer Support During Races

FTS
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I am wondering the type of support Michelin, Yokohama and others provide to participants of GT3 Challenge and similar series.

I see their presence in races with their trucks, mounting/balancing, etc. What kind of information to they provide? Do they give technical information to help with the setup of the car beyond just optimum operating temperatures? Slip angles, max lateral load numbers, side wall spring rates, etc.? Or they just sell and do mounting and balancing?

Thank you,

mooty
03-09-2011, 11:15 PM
for local racing in SoCal, POC and NASA work together with yokohama with free tires to winners. that's one form of support.

as far as technical help to the club racers, not much officially. but you can always bug the trucks, vendors for info and guidance to alignment and pressure.

FTS
03-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I think that if a manufacturer provided more technical information that really helps me with my car setup and driving, I'd be inclined to use their tires even for DEs. For example, if I knew how much lateral force a particular set of tires would generate in a GT3, its spring rate effect, force distribution across the slip angles, I believe that would give me significant advantage.

Would you change tires if such information was available to you, of course provided that tires are free and contingencies don't matter?

I am assuming that in series in which spec tires are used, manufacturers are providing such information, but I may be wrong.