PDA

View Full Version : Potomac Region - Summit Point

FTS
03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
What a weekend! It was cold, especially with snow flurries on Sunday. Still a good turn out, got total of ten 30-min sessions in. The car has been great, but had a little worry about the brakes, they got a little too soft on Sunday despite 35 deg ambient temp. Braking was still on point, but I had a slight loss of confidence for sure, just my mind playing games.

The car felt quite different that it was at VIR last week, had to get reacquainted with it due to track conditions, more bumps and different types of turns. I was relatively slow on Friday, but Saturday I had a very experienced instructor run it while I was on the right seat, and boy did things click better :)

My times dropped 1.5-2.5 seconds thanks to him showing me how to best use what the car has. The car is still acting very docile and balanced, so I had no issues turning off SC, but left TC on initially. However, after I came back from one of the sessions, the left rear brake was literally smoking. So, I turned off TC as well, did not have issue afterwards. However, as my speeds increased, after sessions both front brakes would keep smoking for 3-4 mins standing still, it was a funny looking site for sure. Still have 65% pad left on the fronts and about 50% on the rears.

The car was otherwise perfect in many ways, blew past pretty much the whole field without me trying hard, it just made me look good. Many of the comments was about "buying lap times" but I did not mind, in a sense it is true I guess. The real hold back right now are, first, me of course, and R888 tires. I can only guess what this car can do with hohos. On this track, under these conditions, my VIR hot pressures did not work as well, 33 psi all around. So, I used 34f/36r, which worked a lot better.

There were few 996 and 997 GT3s, but not many. Most cars were 964s, 993s, 944s, Boxster/Caymans, couple of Interseries Caymans that were faster. Not many to pair up and run with unfortunately in my run group.

unfortunately, my video camera did not work right, so no vids, next time hopefully.