PDA

View Full Version : Now Rotors After 3 Track Events...

FTS
04-05-2011, 11:51 AM
So, do you guys think these front rotors can take one more 3-day event, or I should just get them replaced now?

http://www.gt2gt3cup.org/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=110

It is surprising to me that the cracks are wider than I experienced previously. My Cayman stock rotors had lasted me a full year, granted I wasn't driving this hard at the time, but still...

mooty
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
u r harder on rotors than i.
it's borderline. maybe 1 - 2 day left, tops.
one crack is about to connect with another.

ToddB
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
If the cracks make it to the edge or two holes get connected, they are done. Keep an eye on them.

What pads have you been running?

FTS
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
u r harder on rotors than i.
it's borderline. maybe 1 - 2 day left, tops.
one crack is about to connect with another.
I was afraid of the same conclusion. VIR is not that tough on brakes, may be I can get away with them, may be not.

If the cracks make it to the edge or two holes get connected, they are done. Keep an eye on them.

What pads have you been running?

RS19s Todd; do you think they are really this hard on the rotors?

TRAKCAR
04-06-2011, 07:33 AM
The cracks are wider then on mine, but shorter.
I would be OK with these for another 3 days at VIR but order new ones for after that.

My car replaced fronts after 16 days and I have now 8 days on them 12 when I get back from Ratl and VIR in 2 weeks. I expect them to last about 20 days (Less Sebring on these), so in a couple of weeks I will be buying something slotted.

I've only run Pagid R29, replaced them at 50% or 6 days (Feels crappy) , but I hope to try endless next for longer better brake feel.

ToddB
04-06-2011, 11:13 AM
RS19s Todd; do you think they are really this hard on the rotors?

I picked up RS29's, so we'll at least be able to compare. Finally will get the car to the track at next months First Settlers VIR DE.

I would have expected you to get a few more days before the rotors started looking like that. You might just be braking too much :D

FTS
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I am so glad you will be there Todd, we'll have fun... hopefully.

I am no doubt braking more than usual, I am not used to the speeds this gets up to :)

I think I am also going to need some new trans oil too ;)

Dell
04-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Just have a set of spares ready to quick swap in the pits :)

Personally, I'd change them but they do like they have another day possibly 2 depending on the circuit. A place like CMP then I would say no way. VIR? More than likely good for an event.

FTS
04-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I would take a set with me to VIR, but with CLs I had some interesting surprises where I did not have the tools, so I need to practice first before attempting one track side ;)

Trackrat
04-23-2011, 01:02 PM
That is an ugly rotor Fatih :(

I finally managed to get some track-test sessions on my MovIt ceramic OE replacement rotors that they provided to me to test. Full details in another (new) post but in two days of GT2RS 620hp threshold braking abuse they were flawless. The hope is they are a "lifetime" $olution.

TRAKCAR
04-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Fatih, I took a good look at my OEM rotors after 15 days and now again after 13/14 days. My big cracks are smaller or the same, none connecting to the dge or to each other, but I have a ton more of little hairline cracks! My rotors will probably be OK for 20 days, the rears longer. I will finish these off to see of far they can be taken and report back.

I've also discovered thet when cleaning out the holes on the rotors, it feels like you bled the brakes!

stujelly
04-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow OE ceramic replacements, I look forward to that write up.

Keep us posted.

jenk12m
04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Were u able to run them all 3 days at VIR?

SH || NC
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
3 days on those? Those look like the rears? This is why I went to slotted only for track duty; I don't have that kind of time to swap that often.

FTS
04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
That's all of our frustration, there aren't good slotted alternatives at reasonable price ranges. I know Trakcar, Izzone and I are all looking, poking our contacts, etc. I think something will pop up soon, but I am not sure. And frankly this is another example on how the CL design messes up other stuff too :(

SH || NC
04-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Ahhh, the CLs prevent some of the standard solutions; I see.

stujelly
05-08-2011, 06:47 PM
The cracks are wider then on mine, but shorter.
I would be OK with these for another 3 days at VIR but order new ones for after that.

My car replaced fronts after 16 days and I have now 8 days on them 12 when I get back from Ratl and VIR in 2 weeks. I expect them to last about 20 days (Less Sebring on these), so in a couple of weeks I will be buying something slotted.

I've only run Pagid R29, replaced them at 50% or 6 days (Feels crappy) , but I hope to try endless next for longer better brake feel.

Just curious what rotors you are running now, and if you are changing, what brand are you planning to go to. I think rather than go down the 20k ceramic replacement I will go down the steel conversion road.

Thanks

TRAKCAR
05-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Still running OEM, I have still 4-6 track days in them.
There are a few easy conversions I think from the OEM PCCB. It is not identical to steel.

I think AP as a ready to go solution for PCCB cars. It looks like I will switch rotors and pads to PFC as the CUP cars are running that this season = lots of testing, less expensive and good availability. Once I get them I will post what I learn.

stujelly
05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Still running OEM, I have still 4-6 track days in them.
There are a few easy conversions I think from the OEM PCCB. It is not identical to steel.

I think AP as a ready to go solution for PCCB cars. It looks like I will switch rotors and pads to PFC as the CUP cars are running that this season = lots of testing, less expensive and good availability. Once I get them I will post what I learn.

Thats why I love this forum. I dont have to spend the money to learn what other people have already figured out.

From the info from my dealer the factor OEM steel rotor is a direct replacement for the PCCB. I plan on running the OEM rotors with the pagid p29's, that is unless something better comes along with out having to change calipers.

This little hobbie has become quite the adventure.

TRAKCAR
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
FRONT: OEM steel rotors +/- $1000.00 (Suncoast) last about 16 hard track days, Hats = discs cost +/- $2000.00, but replacement discs are $1000 afterwards but should last 2x or 3x longer.

OK, if they are interchangeable, but I have found this on Rennlist:
The rotor fits over the hub just fine. No issues with spacing or offset. The 997.2 GT3/RS steel front rotors are dimensionally identical to the 997.1 PCCB rotors in how they fit over the hub and align laterally (using the plane of the axle as the z axis) in the caliper.

The difference is the alignment in the horizontal, front to rear, or x axis of the caliper brake pad surface. The PCCB rotor is a true 2 piece design (consumable CC friction ring mounted to a reusable aluminum hat) while the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor is a one piece construction (steel friction ring wedded to an aluminum non reusable hat- see below).

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/mkozink/2007%20GT3%20RS/PCCB%20Steel%20brake%20replacements/P1010359.jpg (http://http//i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/mkozink/2007%20GT3%20RS/PCCB%20Steel%20brake%20replacements/P1010359.jpg)

The alignment issue is a result of the void between the hat and the friction ring in the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor. With out shimming the caliper ~2.5mm away from this void the anterior (inner) brake pad surface would impinge in this area (apparently there is a Porsche service bulletin about this) while the posterior (outer) brake pad surface would be too far from the outside edge of the friction ring. Shimming out the caliper properly aligns the brake pad surface and friction ring for optimal performance.

I am not certain why the void between the friction ring and hat section exists. If I guessed it would be a function of weight savings and cooling efficiency. What ever the reason for the void it makes the alignment of the brake pad and friction ring more critical for the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor than for the 997.1 GT3/RS PCCB rotor (PCCB rotor has more friction ring surface area than the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor due mainly to this void).