PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG

PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG (http://gt2gt3cup.org/index.php)
-   AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions (http://gt2gt3cup.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Mancation II Drive North, or ship car to CA? (http://gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=187)

TRAKCAR 05-04-2011 08:51 PM

Mancation II Drive North, or ship car to CA?

OK, shipping my car to Germany for the summer is out. No insurance.

Thinking of driving North this summer with my truck and trailer. I might talk Izzone :pals: into going with me and share Diesel and keep my beer cooler topped off. :-8
Easy, own truck and trailer. Good to go, just go for a long week and hit 2-3 events..

Another friend shipped his RS to IL for the summer and I can even leave all my stuff there and fly home in between events if that works.
Plenty to choose from:
July 1<SUP>st</SUP> Road ATL ?
July 2+3 Putnam IN ?
July 4+5 VIR with Chin
July 5+6 david Murry NJMP
July 8-10 VIR PBOC
July 9+10 Autobahn with nasa
July 9+10 Putnam IN
July 11+12 The glen Sports Car Driving Assoc?
July 11+12 Road America PCA
July 14-16 Lime rock PCA
July 14-17 monticello PBOC
July 15-17 Mid Ohio

OR:

I will call Intercity this weekend to get price for shipping my car FL->CA-FL. I am figuring to paying $3k.:(. If much more I might throw towel.

I will need some logistical help and insider info to leave my car somewhere for July and August, maybe September while I try to hit as many tracks as possible this summer with as little flying as possible, yet try to be in my office at least 1 day a week:

-Thunder Hill
-Sears Point
-Laguna Seca
-Button Willow
-Callspeed
-Willow springs
-Vegas

Did I forget something?

Question; I'm sure storage at race shops near the tracks or at one of the fellow inflicted on this Forum won't be much of a problem. I should only need a service stop once for pads and maybe oil change if I leave with fresh everything. A Jack, Torque bar and some basic tools, helmet and Hans should fit in the car. I will UPS extra set of BBS somewhere and back and UPS more rear Toyo's if I can't make it on 2 sets of rears. Fronts no issue.

Now, before I ship my car I want to book and register for all events so I can book plane tickets etc. Based on how the events connect or with only a couple days in between (Wine, Napa with wifey I suppose :kiss:) I will decide North or West.

What websites do I need to go on to find all the events? I know nothing onthe West Coast besides PCA and it shows NO DE events in CA in the summer? Wassup with that? :confused:
I will instruct a beginner where possible :-DDD
Extra track time, get to meet more people and save a few $$..

All suggestions welcome, I don't want to end up in a Wild West event with a bunch of crazy's. Safe well organized events...

FTS 05-04-2011 09:55 PM

Re: Mancation II Drive North, or ship car to CA?

Amazing undertaking :D Don't what to say, except love to be part of it, but... family/work won't let me away for that long.

One suggestion: you will need storage for spare parts for usual consumables and few other items that may not take the load back to back to back to back ;)

NickW 05-04-2011 10:15 PM

SoCal is hot as hell in the summer.

Midwest is humid as hell in the summer.

The tracks on the west coast have more elevation change.

I wouldn't bother with Putnam Park. It's basically a low rent CMP without the length or excitement.

Autobahn has many shops at the track who would be happy to work on and store your stuff. If y ou decide on the Midwest that could be a good home base.

jenk12m 05-04-2011 10:35 PM

Wow, I would love to go out west but it may be a little more practical for me to go north for a few events

mooty 05-04-2011 11:36 PM

here is site.
http://www.motorsportreg.com/

i will email you some days on my calendar, not that i will make those dates, but it's on my spreadsheet.

you can park your car at my place. it's literally right in the middle of thunderhill (160 miles), sears point (100 miles) and laguna seca (110miles or so). i can move your car to tony's shop when it needs pads and oil.

button willow is about 200 miles south. so is cal motorspeedway. willow spring is maybe 250 miles?

just put RA1 on the car, you can drive to any of these tracks.

FTS 05-04-2011 11:45 PM

I have been entering many of the PCA events into our calendar: http://gt2gt3cup.org/calendar.php?c=1 with links to event information or registration pages; it is a slow process as PCA holds over 600 track events a year, I am ~60% done with the east coast events, could not make it to mid-west or west yet.

If you have events, enter it to the calendar, so it is in one place.

TRAKCAR 05-05-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

SoCal is hot as hell in the summer.
Midwest is humid as hell in the summer.
It can't be as bad at Florida in the Summer..

Wow ,thank you for the offer Mooty, I will check out the link and your e-mail today/over the weekend/next week and if it looks doable start booking transport and tickets.. I don't see a problem driving everywhere, even on bald RA1's. If it rains hard I will just wait. Part of the plan.

Fatih, I looked at your list, I think I got them all. If I find new PCA stuff, I will send to you or update.

To be continued..

TRAKCAR 05-05-2011 02:00 PM

Intercity 4K both ways.. :-((

And the feds say inflation is under control :sleepy:

NickW 05-05-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 1368)

Wow ,thank you for the offer Mooty, I will check out the link and your e-mail today/over the weekend/next week and if it looks doable start booking transport and tickets.. I don't see a problem driving everywhere, even on bald RA1's. If it rains hard I will just wait. Part of the plan.

Fatih, I looked at your list, I think I got them all. If I find new PCA stuff, I will send to you or update.

To be continued..

You're right about that. Pretty much split the heat and humidity you get in South Florida between the desert heat of SoCal and the 70-90% humidity of IL/WI...

My recommendation- go where you want to go, the cash difference is negligible in the end.

jenk12m 05-05-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 1377)
Intercity 4K both ways.. :-((

And the feds say inflation is under control :sleepy:

Just drag erik, Randy, and Juan to split the cost

mooty 05-05-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 1368)

To be continued..

just emailed you the organization list

Izzone 05-06-2011 07:12 PM

Lets stay east......I should be in

Jenk will be forced to meet us. We can guilt him into it

California next summer......plan a head, fill a semi each way for better pricing

Crazy Canuck 05-06-2011 08:48 PM

You guys are forgetting Le Circuit Mont Tremblant, Calabogie Motorsports Park and Mosport.
Yes, you must drive Watkins Glen. I like it better than VIR.

jenk12m 05-06-2011 11:58 PM

May be a tad cooler if we did that. Canada and new York

TRAKCAR 05-07-2011 12:21 AM

Mosport is on the list.

We will be puzzling our calenders and try to hit as many tracks as we can.
Ideally

What are the best tracks north between IL and NY?
NJMP
Lime Rock
The Glen
Autobahn
Mosport
Mont tremblant
RoadAmerica
Mid Ohio

Which ones are we forgetting?

We can't do them all in a +/-9 day trip so we must choose and see what dates will work, but what are the best ones? How long and how much fun are they?
I rather drive a bit more and hit all the best ones.

I figure Watkins Glen and RoadAmerica are a must...

Crazy Canuck 05-07-2011 07:25 AM

Calabogie is a great track as well. http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/

From Northeast Region PCA http://www.porschenet.com/JCMS/content/view/330/140/
July 7-9 Thur/F/Sa Calabogie NER Mar 1 $275 $495 $585
July 11-13 M/Tu/W Mt Tremblant NER Mar 1 $285 $525 $595

Early July in southern Canada can be very hot.

FTS 05-07-2011 09:29 AM

Summit Point and Monticello should be on your list IMO.

TRAKCAR 05-07-2011 03:21 PM

Who has driven them all? How would you rank them in Must do bucket list?

BlkGT3 05-07-2011 04:14 PM

Peter,

I plan on being @ Autobahn July 9/10 NASA and Road America July 11/12 PCA. If I feel really lucky I will stop @ Blackhawk Farms on July 13 on the way back to FL. Hmm 5 days is a row might just test my will power;)

IMHO Road America is a must drive track.

Peter

TRAKCAR 05-07-2011 05:14 PM

Thanks for posting Peter! Those events are on our list.

Izzone 05-08-2011 12:07 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,67.456055&z=5

TRAKCAR 05-08-2011 12:36 PM

Anyone know what it takes to drive the cars over the border?
Is there any paperwork that we have to know about?

FTS 05-08-2011 12:41 PM

woww, 4K miles?!?!?! GL.

pranqster 05-09-2011 09:21 AM

I know I am a little late in posting but I have used DeMoise Trucking from Jacksonville to Albuquerque, and a few times from Albuquerque to Las Vegas. Covered transport and great service. They have always been less than Intercity. Call Bill DeMoise 864-609-9390.

I will use them when I finally get to go to the PCA race DE at Daytona.

The East North trip sounds like a great trip.

Arcticgt3 05-09-2011 09:28 AM

Peter,

We're waiting for you here in California. You'll meet great people, and get an endless supply of cookies to slow you down.

Armando

FEKGT3 05-09-2011 06:37 PM

Peter,
Would like to see you guys up the Northeast, Watkins Glen is an amazing track and will not disappoint but after living in Northern California and having the chance to drive the first 3 on your list Thunder Hill, Sears Point (Infineon) and Laguna Seca I say, "Go West Young Man!!!!"
Best of Luck either one will be a blast.
If it's the NE I want to partake in your PBOC date at Monticello, another good spot in NE and pretty close to NYC. Would want to join in on that one for sure!
Best,
Ted

TRAKCAR 05-09-2011 08:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments, recommendations and advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranqster (Post 1503)
I know I am a little late in posting but I have used DeMoise Trucking from Jacksonville to Albuquerque, and a few times from Albuquerque to Las Vegas. Covered transport and great service. They have always been less than Intercity. Call Bill DeMoise 864-609-9390.

I will use them when I finally get to go to the PCA race DE at Daytona.

The East North trip sounds like a great trip.

Thanks Pranqster, for now the North trip is winning out, we're just trying to firm up the exact tracks and dates but I will keep it in mind. We're also working on a half baked plan to ship a bunch of cars to California next year. We will be shopping :-DDD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcticgt3 (Post 1504)
Peter,

We're waiting for you here in California. You'll meet great people, and get an endless supply of cookies to slow you down.

Armando

Armando, great to see you here, I can't wait to come over and meet all the West coast legends :-)
Cookies! Ooohh, tempting! :pals:
It looks like CA has to wait until next year, but I may be bringing a buch of East coasters with me :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FEKGT3 (Post 1515)
Peter,
Would like to see you guys up the Northeast, Watkins Glen is an amazing track and will not disappoint but after living in Northern California and having the chance to drive the first 3 on your list Thunder Hill, Sears Point (Infineon) and Laguna Seca I say, "Go West Young Man!!!!"
Best of Luck either one will be a blast.
If it's the NE I want to partake in your PBOC date at Monticello, another good spot in NE and pretty close to NYC. Would want to join in on that one for sure!
Best,
Ted

Hello ted, welcome to this forum as well!! :)
Thunder Hill, Sears Point (Infineon), Laguna Seca, Monticello...You are full of great idea's. Unfortunately I can only handle a few weeks of insanity at the time. :beatinghead:

I found Monticello PBOC days here: http://www.mytrackschedule.com/ViewE...PBOC_Northeast

I have not contacted them because it is the same date as we plan to be at Mosport.

Nothing final and no time today to work on it, but I guess we are looking at:

We wanted to go to Calabogie 7-10 and Mt Tremblant 11+12, but sound ristriction means making exhausts OEM.

So maybe now:
Autobahn with PCA 9+10 We wanted to go to Calabogie, but sound ristriction means making exhausts OEM.
Road America 11+12 PCA
Looking for something 13 or 14 on our way to Mosport
Mosport 15-17 PCA
Watkins Glen 18+19 Audiclub

Nobody contacted yet, but maybe we can make up our mind soon and start booking :D

bman 05-09-2011 09:56 PM

Just back from 3 days at Mid Ohio. I'd strongly suggest modifying your schedule to add it. It was my 2nd time there and I am already trying to find another date to go back this year.

From your list my top picks, in no particular order, would be:

Glen
Tremblant
Mosport
Bogie
Mid Ohio
RA

jenk12m 05-10-2011 01:37 PM

the dodge ram, will be busy on that trip

TRAKCAR 05-16-2011 03:33 PM

We settled on our trip :-)
Our itinerary:
Autobahn NASA 9+10
Road America PCA 11+12
Mosport 14th.
Mid Ohio NASA 15-17
Watkins Glen AUDI 18+19

E-mailing and registering today/this week.

I talked izzone into it :pals:

NickW 05-16-2011 04:00 PM

Gosh, Autobahn will be the worst track on that list- that's saying something!

The rest of the list looks AWESOME. You guys will have a LOT of fun at the others- RA has a lot of high speed stuff, Mosport is classic, MO is the Laguna Seca of the East, and the Glen has so many really cool corners... quite jealous of you!

FTS 05-16-2011 06:30 PM

Which month is this?

jenk12m 05-16-2011 06:34 PM

July

jenk12m 05-16-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 1798)
We settled on our trip :-)
Our itinerary:
Autobahn NASA 9+10
Road America PCA 11+12
Mosport 14th.
Mid Ohio NASA 15-17
Watkins Glen AUDI 18+19

E-mailing and registering today/this week.

I talked izzone into it :pals:

And izzone is trying to talk me into it:beatinghead:
How far is mosport from mid Ohio, that looks like some driving all through the night just to make on time for mid Ohio. However, I guess all of it will be driving through the night to make the next event

BlkGT3 05-17-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenk12m (Post 1818)
And izzone is trying to talk me into it:beatinghead:
How far is mosport from mid Ohio, that looks like some driving all through the night just to make on time for mid Ohio. However, I guess all of it will be driving through the night to make the next event

Come on. I will be @ Autobahn and RA but then my time runs out and its back to Florida.:beatinghead:

Peter

jenk12m 05-18-2011 01:10 PM

peter, glad to see you making the 1st half of the trip. im trying to make the 2nd half of the trip

TRAKCAR 05-18-2011 03:50 PM

Who else is joining the convoy?
Damn! You guys trying to scare us? http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ns/icon107.gif

Working on the schedule, will start booking hotels tomorrow:
Boynton Beach, FL 33426 ==> Windermere, FL 34786
July 7 Leave 5AM arrive 8AM Pickup Izone. Better be ready to go.

Autobahn Country Club
July 7 Leave 9AM arrive some hotel +/- 9PM July 8th from hotel to Autobahn
9+10 track

Road America
July 10 leave Autobahn arrive Ostoff hotel 4 hours later.
11+12 track

Mosport
July 12 drive a few hours find hotel leave early 13th. arrive Mosport hotel late
14 track

Mid Ohio
July 14 1 leave Mosport arrive Hotel Mid Ohio 8!! Hours later. Need to haul ass and maybe drive a bit the 15th.
15-16-17 track

Watkins Glen
July 17 leave Mid Ohio arrive Hotel Watkins Glen 7!! Hours later. Need to haul ass again.
18+19 track

20+21 drive home

4400 Miles. 10 track days
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

FTS 05-18-2011 08:33 PM

If I can work out my schedule, I am going to join you guys either at Watkins Glen or Mid-Ohio.

jenk12m 05-18-2011 10:28 PM

faith, lets try and do mid ohio and watkins

FTS 05-18-2011 10:36 PM

That would be awesome. But with my work schedule as dynamic as it is right now, it is impossible for me to commit, I am almost living on a week by week basis.