PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG

PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG (http://gt2gt3cup.org/index.php)
-   GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions (http://gt2gt3cup.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Maintenance Do *You* Usually Do? (http://gt2gt3cup.org/showthread.php?t=207)

Trackrat 05-15-2011 10:34 AM

What Maintenance Do *You* Usually Do?

I think it is a fair guess that many if not most GT car owners tackle a lot of DIY projects. But how far are you willing and able to go?

Personally I will do anything up to dropping the engine or tranny and alignments. While I am capable, I choose to leave those to a tech that I know and trust :D

Where are your boundaries?

FTS 05-15-2011 10:38 AM

Re: What Maintenance Do *You* Usually Do?

For me it is mostly a time issue, I never seem to have enough time to do most of my own work unfortunately. I used to do brake stuff myself, and even alignment with strings and corner balancing, but I sold all that stuff now, and my car gets serviced by trusted mechanics now, even oil changes and brakes :(

You don't have an opyion in your poll for ppl like me, which is hard to imagine, I know; I don't even wash and wax, dealer does that perfectly for me.

mooty 05-15-2011 10:41 AM

all the way to medium

jenk12m 05-15-2011 04:19 PM

I Picked wash n wax but there was nothing for the tire change and occasional brake pad change

GT3Racerich 05-15-2011 04:21 PM

So far, between medium and heavy.
Rich

landjet 05-15-2011 04:50 PM

Change tires, pads, and do clean up. I never learned to work on cars as a kid so I leave the mods to them that know.

PJS 05-15-2011 04:57 PM

If I had the time and my own lift I would love to do it...

ToddB 05-15-2011 07:38 PM

Try to do most work myself, as long as I have the time. It's my therapy, also gets me intimate with the car, so I know if something is wrong later. In the end, I'm somewhere between medium and heavy.

24Chromium 05-15-2011 08:34 PM

While I voted a strong medium, I actually haven't ever changed my own oil. Kinda funny, considering all the work on the interior I've done (Traqmate hardwire, Valentine One hardwire, etc.). I guess the interior work is simply "cleaner"! LOL

Trackrat 05-16-2011 10:26 AM

It is really hard for me to trust anybody to work on my car. I have full confidence in a local tech that I work with and he is about the only one. If you can find a person you trust I think they are worth their weight in gold.

TRAKCAR 05-16-2011 03:14 PM

None of the above;
I just wnna drive and drink beer.

I do bring pads and rotors to the track and will change if needed, but only if really needed.
I change my wheels side to side and somethimes get tires flipped / mounted locally.

Every thirs or 4th. weekend I bring my car in to get it all done and after every event the car washer guy comes to clean it.

Izzone 05-16-2011 07:37 PM

Heavy and anything I can figure out

Cars are like tinker toys.....I can figure it out as well as the monley in the shop

I do pay to have experts do work I do not understand....but I watch the entire process so I can learn how to do it one day

this is something I enjoy, not have to do.......just like Peter enjoys drinking beer

FFaust 05-16-2011 08:55 PM

Medium - Heavy but limited by equipment.

Dell 05-17-2011 07:50 AM

Voted medium. I would do some of the heavy lifting stuff but I prefer to use a pro for those items as you can really screw something up if it goes wrong.

Stuff I do:
Motor Oil
Tranny Oil
Brake Fluid
Pads and Rotor
Exhaust System
Misc mods (cosmetic mostly and some "performance")
Rad cleanouts
I wash her but I pay a pro to do the paint (i.e., clean, polish, wax, etc)

It helps to have a lift at home so not only do I get to wrench on my car, but a few of the local guys cars as well :)

Larry Herman 05-19-2011 07:04 AM

I do everything except open the trans or major motor work. I seem to have a talent for suspension work and I like doing my own alignments because that way I know that they are right (and not subject to the calibrations of some machine).