View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Close Call at South Bend

No worries disagreeing. The discussion is what fosters the best result for everybody.

Keep in mind all of my comments and suggestions are based on my 996 GT3 so it might be different for y'all with higher redline and a significant amount of more power.

As far as the 2nd versus 3rd gear I would have to find the data files but I tried it both ways and the data clearly showed I was faster. The delta between accel in 2nd + shift 3rd is faster than just accel in 3rd. There is no low end power in the GT3 and falling outside the meat of the power (up at top) you are really giving back time.

There is no way for me to take 2nd to T6 or I'd be bouncing off the rev limiter.

The T4->T5 transition was also faster in 2nd versus 3rd.

With all of that said, it is easier to take 3rd instead of 2nd in those spots since you can be WOT without all the torque of the top of the power band. But make no mistake, your accel is slower in 3rd.

Again with T14a->T15 taking 2nd is faster. I didn't believe it and had to run it both ways with data to show the time I was picking up.

I'd have to find the data files but I have countless files from VIR and finding that test file would be like finding a needle in a haystack. At least I have a project for this event!