View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Re: 911 Platform, Is It Forgiving?

My intentions were not to come across with arrogance, which I'd like to believe I really don't have. On the contrary, I have quite a bit of lack of confidence with the car at this time, hence the question.

My experiences with the GT3 thus far has been positive, but being an overly-analytical person, I have the need to feel every part of the car and learn its language. I don't like reacting, I like expecting if you will. Thus far, I am not quite feeling the car, so I am continuously in a reactive mode without fully understanding its dynamics. So, when I think of describing the car and the first word that comes to my mind is "forgiving," I am doubting myself and really asking for comments and insights from more experienced.

I am certainly not proclaiming that the GT3 is easier to drive and all should get 911s for that reason. I actually always maintained that the Cayman thought me how to be smooth, and fast with my hands and feet, and that it is the best platform to learn high-performance driving. I have no special talents at all; actually I am one of those whom has to force himself to learn, things don't come to me naturally, I have to learn theory, and than do a lot of trial and error.

So, my question really is, before I push myself in the new car to explore the limits, I'd welcome any comments that can warn me on how much I can really push or should push. I like taking baby steps, and I am enjoying the adventure of slowly solving a complex puzzle

But also here are two additional examples I saw personally: Bman has litterally learned to drive on the Cayman, has about the same seat time as me, and he jumped in to a GT2 and right out of the box he was fast, no hesitation or question, just fast.

Fritz, although it appears he has a lot more experience than me, spent most of his track time on Mazda RX-7s as I understand. He gets his first 911, a 997.1 GT3RS, puts on some decent tires, and voila, keeping up with some of the fastest guys out there right out of the box.

Does that speak to the easiness of driving a 911? I would think so.