View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Cayman Register Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: 911 Platform, Is It Forgiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
To my surprise the GT3 was way easier to handle on and over the limit.
When the rear steps out it is easy to catch, understeer is corrected with a quick lift of the throttle to rotate the car in a bit.
The few times it went fish tailing a bit I let my foor test on the brake and it was like throwing an anchor out the rear, as if stability control was on ;-)
Whadda these guys talking about with their "never, ever lift in a 911, I wondered??!! Old ones yes, new GT3's; Lift all you want..

With the RS now, even easier, you do have SC (When it rains, new tracks etc.) The DEMS make it even more stable and the car has even more stick front and rear.

Going 9/10th in an RS makes you pretty fast around the track :-)

I think they crash a lot because the are just so fast and forgiving, giving some drivers a false sense of thinking they can push harder. The car is fast enough to demand respect, more so for beginners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
the LEGEND of 911 is really of older 911's. drive a 964 or 911, you will understand what what i mean. 996 and later cars dont feel the same as older 911's. the new cars are very neutral and not hard to drive.

lots of gt3 crash not b/c it's hard to drive, it's b/c lack of respect and the car has a lot more hp then drivers are used to.

i have had lots of miles on cay/box. at 7/10 both cars are easy to drive. subtle differences that takes 2 turns to get used to. at 9/10, you think you are superman in cay/box as it's as easy as 7/10. 9/10 in gt3 is scary for me. car dances everywhere telling you your end is near. at 10/10, 911 becomes friendly. it stops dancing and tells you what it wants you to do. listen and you will be fine. cay is still easy to drive at 10/10 until 10.00001/10. should you screw up, you spin like a top in cay box. have you spun a box/cay before? if you haven't, you dont know what i mean. you spin like a top, really, round and round and round until you have no idea where you are on the track. if you spin a gt3, it's extremely rare that you do more than 360. and usually i can catch the gt3, but can't catch cay box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman View Post
My 1st impression of driving a GT, to quote Seinfeld, was "nothing". The GT platform, compared to the Cayman, is so solid that I had difficulty reading the car. In contrast, the Cayman is more nervous and wiggles & jiggles it's way around the track. In the GT2 I was having trouble feeling the limit probably because I wasn't near it. I found myself, looking for open corners and tossing the car to get it step out.

It took a couple of sessions to learn the feel of the GT2; I discovered that it talks to you only when needed but you'd better listen. Could the number of accidents in GT cars be contributed to their solid build? i.e. a nervous car makes for a nervous driver whereas as a solid car builds too much confidence?

Easy to throttle steering.....awesome braking.....easier to rotate under braking.....love it!
Wow... Lots of great stuff here. Good idea on starting this thread Fatih. It has provent to be very informative.

I have to admit, as one of the guys who hasn't driven a GT-3, I have been buying into the "watch out for the rear engine" hype at least a little. But part of me knew deep down that the current GT-3s must be incredible, just because so many people whom I respect have said so. There has to be something there.... Hearing it from respected guys (all of you) who have expereinced both is very interesting....