View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Clutch-in Braking For Better Performance?

Fatih, I found that it was easier to just jump down to the gear I needed but I also found that I had more errors so I started to change to the chasing the gears method. Some time back when I used to visit the racing/DE forum on Rennlist (when it was more civil) we had a thread about going through the gearbox versus skipping to the gear you want and there were definitely 2 schools of thought. I have never seen a pro racer skip to the gear he wants so I figured chasing the gears down the box was of some benefit since they do it. Once I got really good at my rev matching I felt more confidence to do it and the result was a car that felt more stable under braking. If by de-clutch with each you mean that I do the following for each gear, then yes: clutch, select next lower gear, rev match, release clutch. I go through that process for each as if the next gear down would potentially be my last gear selection needed.

Another reason that I didn't state why I chase down the gearbox is that with muscle memory, you will more often have errors grabbing the gear you are used to grabbing in a certain location on track and if the conditions have changed for that event or day or even lap you are more prone to the error of not grabbing the gear you need. Heck, conditions changing could mean you even had more grip and have a higher than normal entry speed that is controllable so 3rd would be better than 2nd.

If that sounded a little like one long run-on sentence it's b/c I haven't had a chance to down my coffee this morning and have a 1 and 3 year-old screaming for my attention. Ah, the joys of weekend mornings.......