View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Close Call at South Bend

Car is a street 996 GT3. monoball suspension and motons.

The line through T14 allows me to brake VERY DEEP and carry much more speed into "roller coaster". It straightens out the transition so the 2 direction change trailbrake is less of a weight shift. When I started to really get my times low enough where I was counting tenths instead of seconds, my coach introduced me to that line. You just have to have 100% confidence in your skillset since you are braking about the 50-75 foot brake marker (between the 1 and the turn-in arrow) at 155-165mph and trailing through both T14 and T14a. But once you hit it, it is sublime.

As far as the curbing. Going over T10 is no big deal if the suspension is dialed in properly. It is the track out curbing that you want to either miss or slightly graze. The key to getting your braking and turn-in nailed down is make sure you are on throttle coming out of the esses and then IMMEDIATELY after you go over the crest (between T9-T10) hit the brakes (hard but not unsettling) downshift and then back on the throttle to gain rear-end grip turning in. Another one of those places where once it all comes together it is sublime.

For me, southbend is on of those places on track I was terrified of until I nailed it. Now I know what I (and the car) are capable of and never cross that line