View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: August 14-15; PCA DE @ Charlotte Motor Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman View Post
Wow...interesting track! There's a lot going on....was it difficult to focus on a line? Does the car feel stable braking on the banked surface?
It was a difficult track to get a read on, at least for me; very segmented; hard to get good site lines with the undulation and turns. It was also hard to get good site lines when my vision was always attracted to the ginormious concrete blocks, walls, and steel barriers! It was not a track for me as a first timer that encouraged risk taking.

The videos I watched for prep just don't communicate the banks and elevation changes. On the orientation laps, I felt like I was going to fall out my window; I was giggling.

I didn’t do much braking on 3 and 4, just a light pressure. The AIM brake channel is 0 or 1, so it may look like I am full on the brakes at points, but its not totally accurate. In fact, you don’t use much brakes anywhere at all except for turn in into the infield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman View Post
Btw, did you and a couple of buddies rent the track? Where are the other cars?
Ha, no. It was in fact a tri-region PCA DE, but we only had ~72 cars sign up, so the run groups (4) were pretty small, and the pit marshall spaced us out at the beginning of the session, so lots of pretty much open track.

Not much more of a write up really I’m afraid. Had a garage, which was nice; it wasn’t terribly hot, but it was nice to be out of the sun, and the pass-through setup allowed for nice breezes. Sunday I was struggling to find the line and confidence until really my last session where it came together for me. Picture taking was difficult because in the infield you’re kind of in a bowl / depression with lots of fences. I’ll try to get a few posted this week.