Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: Pretty proud of myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquared View Post
Were you driving a Turbo S? I was driving a 997.1 Silver RS in Group 3 and I remember giving several point-bys on Sunday to a Turbo S that was flying down the front straight that I don't remember running in that group on Saturday. Hope I didn't slow you up too much :-). (UPDATE: I see you have a GT2, Sorry about that. I may still have given you a point by, but there was definitely a Turbo S that I gave several point-bys to).
I was only there Friday and Saturday. There were a couple of real bad violators of the mirror/point by policy- on Friday it was a silver Turbo S with a younger guy driving Daddy's car in S-2 (3!!! lap holdup until checkered!!!), and on Saturday I had a couple of problems with a silver Targa, a silver Boxster, a red Boxster, and a blue GT3. The Targa ran off the track a least twice trying to stay ahead of me on one occasion, and the silver Boxster had several big tankslappers out of T13 before T14 after he wouldn't give the point by for 1/2 lap.

Quote:
Road America is a great track, especially for your car. That much power on the front straight must be a blast. For comparison, I'm usually about speedo indicated 154 at the braking point for turn 1, which is redline in 4th gear. I would require another shift to go any faster, and I experimented with short-shifting into 5th, and I get another mph or two, but then I have to go down two gears for turn 1, so I usually just hang out for a second or two at the redline.
To give you an idea of the difference- third into T14, 4th before the hill, 5th at the Bucyrus bridge, and 6th at or after the start/finish line, brake zone beginning 500 ft before the first brake marker (so 1000 ft brake zone for me) because T1 comes up QUICK at 170mph. Skip shift to 3rd for T2, 4th on track out, back to 3rd for T3, and getting into 5th redline/6th midrange into T5 depending on traffic.

Quote:
Can't give you lap times for me, but they were obviously slower than yours.

RE: Brakes - I turn off my TC (don't have SC) to extend the life of the rear pads. Even so, right now, I burn through rears about twice the rate of fronts. From what I understand, that is most due to lack of cooling, and the .2s have a revised rear cooling duct that can be retrofitted to the .1.

If you enjoy it, you should keep coming out to the track. It's definitely addictive (I know I'm hooked). PCA is going to Autobahn next Monday (13th) and Gingerman at the end of July. I can't make Autobahn, but I'm planning on Gingerman. Hope to see you there.
Not necessarily. Besides I am more interested in the breakdown of time of the laps- the Carousel specifically. I bet you, in your 3RS, are far quicker than me through there.

As for the brakes- I have all the new 3RS/2RS brake ducts on my car. I did not turn of SC or TC, only engaged Sport mode for the shocks.

I talked to Ruther about Autobahn on Monday, I may show up (he said don't worry, they would find space if I went). I have about 10,000 laps at GingerMan's old configuration but 0 with the new back straight so that may be an option, although G-Man is quite tight for this car. I actually want to go to Road Atlanta and Mid Ohio with this car, but that's not going to happen until I buy, and find a place to store, a trailer in downtown Chicago (not likely ).