View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered PCA Member

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: 911 Platform, Is It Forgiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
the LEGEND of 911 is really of older 911's. drive a 964 or 911, you will understand what what i mean. 996 and later cars dont feel the same as older 911's. the new cars are very neutral and not hard to drive.

lots of gt3 crash not b/c it's hard to drive, it's b/c lack of respect and the car has a lot more hp then drivers are used to.

i have had lots of miles on cay/box. at 7/10 both cars are easy to drive. subtle differences that takes 2 turns to get used to. at 9/10, you think you are superman in cay/box as it's as easy as 7/10. 9/10 in gt3 is scary for me. car dances everywhere telling you your end is near. at 10/10, 911 becomes friendly. it stops dancing and tells you what it wants you to do. listen and you will be fine. cay is still easy to drive at 10/10 until 10.00001/10. should you screw up, you spin like a top in cay box. have you spun a box/cay before? if you haven't, you dont know what i mean. you spin like a top, really, round and round and round until you have no idea where you are on the track. if you spin a gt3, it's extremely rare that you do more than 360. and usually i can catch the gt3, but can't catch cay box.
Can't agree with Mooty more on this one. Like many here, I learned on a Cayman S and drove that thing 10/10ths. I was superman. Once you spin, you are done. The car was very forgiving. I've only had 3 track days with the GT3, and that thing is FAST!. Many, if not all, the driving techniques I learned with the Cayman apply to the GT3. I have a 997.2 so it is relatively easy to drive. I respect the car, but still drive fast. The first time I got into it, I beat my best Cayman time by just over 5 seconds (2.2 mile track)! Yes, the back can slip out a little quicker than the Cayman, but I think it is relatively controllable and predictable. I can't tell you it's gonna be like that at 10/10ths because I've never been there...yet. Overall, the Cayman is easier and more forgiving at the limit, but the 997.2 GT3 is not the unforgiving monster some people claim it to be. The GT3 is MUCH, MUCH faster and way more fun for me. I am always exhausted at the end of a session because it requires more skill and concentration than the Cayman. Both great cars though.