Thread: GT3 On Track
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

Day complete, four total session, quite relaxed, not a lot of car during open practice, but a lot of different types, including spec ford racers, cobras, corvettes, rx-8s, bmws, etc.

Incredable weather, hit 78, slight increasing winds. The last two sessions, I got slower and slower. I suspect it was due to getting tired and temps increasing fast and high that impacted my body negatively.

The car is superb. It is not difficult to drive, but I am not deciphering all the signals yet. I cranked up the wing to full up in the afternoon, maybe that slowed me down I also turned off SC, left TC on, the car was stable enough that I wasn't worried much. However, in one corner (T3) coming in ~90 mph and trailing the brakes down to about 65 mph, I nearly lost the rear, but the transition was almost slow motion that it was easy to catch and the car reacts to counter steer very well, so recovered without issues, but probably got to an angle of about 10-15 deg. Then same happened in the very next slower corner, but this time I braked too late and had to trail the brakes hard into the corner, but again was easy to recover.

The car is gaining speed very fast and doesn't let up. I am not used to such power, so I am backing off earlier from the throttle at the end of the straights.

Looking at data, old and new, the power of the GT3 is worth about 3 secs on the circuit, but at braking and corners I lost about 2.5 sec to the time I was driving the Cayman. Most of that is due to the tires I think. The Toyo Proxes 1 don't quite have the grip of the R888s, and don't stand to heat as well as r-comps of course. More track time tomorrow, and I should get more comfortable with the car. Unfortunately, it is going to be very busy, I will most likely have 2 students, so that means 9 sessions in a single day, running from one to another.

Cheers,

Last edited by FTS; 03-09-2011 at 10:08 AM.