View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: Brakes and Shocks

"I think we are either at 3rd or 4th generation PASM on the 997.2 GT3s, and I thought they are pretty good both for daily driving and track. After driving the Cup car though, I am better able to relate why the Excellence Magazine is so critical of PASM on the GT3s. In stock configuration, there are several areas on the tracks I visit in which the rear loses traction for a fraction of time, especially on bumpy sections, elevation change points, etc. The car takes a split second more to settle on its tires at full speed, and generally engages traction control. It is a momentary loss of traction that I can live with for my purposes.

However, after driving the GT3 and Cup back to back, the problem was much more amplified for me. The Cup car never loses traction, always planted, always full power to the rear, very smooth. Although it is a lighter, much more rigid and stiffly setup car, the ride over the track surface and curbs were noticeably smoother than that of the GT3. Granted some of it is due to aerodynamics, but at the cornering speeds we were traveling, I doubt the downforce on the Cup car had significant effect. As shocking as this may sound, I would hope Festina can collaborate my observations."

===> that's what i have always been saying about pasm. usually 90% of the time they are great. but they aren't the same as moton, jrz, penske, ohlins. but for what it's designed for. you can't ask for more.

after driving the stripper, i already think all street cars are POS ;-)

with regard to ice mode. i have driven cayman, gt3, c2, lotus, m3 on track from street tires, RA1, nittos, R6 to slicks. i have never experienced it except on the lotus. i am VERY abrupt on brakes.

slicks are great, but that alone will not solve suspension problem.

festina and fatih, you should stop talking about cups... or else i see a 28' trailer and F350 somewhere near where all the 997.1RS gathered for dinner few years back.... wife will not be happy.