View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Clutch-in Braking For Better Performance?

During last two years, amongst the the NASA club racers and DE instructors, the technique of depressing the clutch in at the same time as you hit the brakes to disengage the engine from the drive shafts results in shorter braking distances has been discussed and advised. Even during our instructor training there was a short discussion, and frankly I dismissed it, did not even give it a second thought and forgot about it; I had other things to worry about, like getting my instructor license

Last weekend at VIR, a GT2 driver reminded me of this and stated that he actually had good results. I tried it, and it does seem to yield noticeably shorter distances, especially under hard braking, for example T1 at VIR. It was too late in the weekend for me to collect data on either way, so I cannot prove it even to myself, but I intend to collect data during the Zone 2 event at VIR in March, and may be event at Summit Point the next weekend as well.

I haven't heard this in the Porsche circles yet, maybe I late into the game, but what do other think about this? Have you tried it, do you have comparative data, does it work?

Last edited by FTS; 03-09-2011 at 10:21 AM.