Thread: DE, Why Bother?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: DE, Why Bother?

I don't race my GT3 because of the cost (ok - and lack of skills), but I really love high performance driving. I suppose if I raced a cheap car like a Honda or something, my annual cost might even be less than DE-ing my GT3, but I think the GT3 has spoiled me performance-wise. Not sure if I would really enjoy driving a slow, cheap car around the track. A friend tried it with a Toyota Sports Racer and he only lasted a few races before dumping it for a GT3 Cup car.

A regular DE like what I was at last week reminded me of what I don't like about the local track/groups and that is the fixed passing zones. I was a fair bit faster than much of the field (just some guys with their regular street cars) and I was constantly slowing down to a cool-down lap pace from turn 3 all the way through turn 6 for the next passing zone where I'd hope the guy in front checked his mirror and gave me a point. If there were 2 or more cars then I'd be waiting a lot longer. Ugh.

At my fav DE days at ORP with a bunch of friends, we pass anywhere with a point and the guys are fantastic about watching their mirrors (me included - esp when PJ is behind me!). Right rules - right group. If every DE was like that I probably wouldn't even think about racing.

Next year I might take the local race car driving school to get my novice racing license. Then rent a Honda from a guy I know and give it a shot. $500/day with full support is less than my GT3 DE costs so I may as well try it out.

We'll see what happens.