View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: How Different Is Driving a Cup Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS View Post
I think we agree on the suspension and handling differences. As for street tire grip staying consistent, I found MPSC grip on my street GT3 would change significantly over a session and over the life of the tire, albeit without as severe a penalty as slicks when they fall off. Full disclosure: I've only run my Cup on used slicks to date, which have seen their best days by the time I get them. But fresh slicks are inbound and I'm told they're more addcitive than crack so perhaps I'll have a whole new perspective soon....
MPSCs are the most "slick like" of the R compounds in that they need to get hot to develop their grip, where as an R6 sticks pretty good when cold, so it is not surprising you have found a significant change from cold to hot. That is even more so with fresh racing slicks.

The other point that I was making is that with its soft springs, a GT3 will track fairly evenly over bumps and undulations as it does a good job of maintaining even grip levels. A cup car will bounce and hop over the same surfaces, and so its grip, thought higher, will change radically as the suspension unloads (no grip) and re-loads (lots of grip). It will require a lot more movement of the wheel to manage that changing grip.
2006 Cayenne S
National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car