Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: How To Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW View Post
Obviously if you stay within the traction circle you won't lose any traction, but to stay within that circle requires you to not exceed the chassis capabilities- those capabilities determine the size of the circle.

Ultimately we are concerned with getting through turns quicker, right? Instead of thinking of turns as brake-throttle input-turn in-track out-more throttle input, concern yourself with how to get to maximum speed as early as possible by track out. That usually means forgetting you have a ton of power, carrying far more speed into and thus out of the corner on a very stable chassis, and using far less brake than you thought you needed. I noticed my car is very neutral if the chassis is balanced, so if I don't give it any input via throttle, brake or steering the car is very settled and predictable. However, giving it throttle will lift the front, reducing the traction circle for the that end, and lifting the throttle will increase it. Braking will cause a more abrupt shift in weight transfer and really reduce the rear traction circle. So, if you are smooth on ALL your inputs you will always be able to maximize the size of the traction circle on the end of the car that needs it most. Now what you do with that traction, and whether you can use it to the limit, is another matter.

Of course, there are instances like in AX that you violate that concept to induce oversteer, but even AX requires a good pointy front end.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying a lot of my concepts but the gist is there.
You bring up a very important point which I often discuss with track newbies. I usually hear them excitedly exclaim that they were driving on the limit. I point out that "the limit" isn't a fixed quantity. A pro driver will drive the exact same car in a way that has a much higher limit. The point of learning how to drive isn't to get to the limit, but rather to first maximize the limit and then push to car to that limit. Which is what you are saying about expanding the traction circle by way of your driving.

The first time I went in a car with a professional racing driver, what was most striking wasn't how "exciting" it was. On the contrary it was how "calm" it all was - despite going incredibly fast. That was the first time I really got an insight into what smooth was, and how important it is to be even more relaxed the faster you go!

-Christian
1998 Ferrari 355 Spyder Red, 2000 - 2004, Sold