Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: How To Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmarx View Post
Here is a theory:

I've recently perused a PDF about the physics of racing, and while it gets a little too involved in the equations for my (MIT educated) brain, it does have some interesting conclusions and corollaries. For example in the chapter on why smoothness is important, we learn that given the car and it's suspension is really a spring/mass/damper system it likes sinusoidal inputs.

Hmm, I've always known that smoothness is important, but I never really thought that smooth doesn't necessarily mean linear! So I've been experimenting with doing sinusoidal-ish steering inputs, i.e. start of slowly and then accelerate the input to quite quick and slowing it down again as I reach full lock. Its quite amazing. If you have a heavier car with a soft suspension try this. With my wife's Prius if I do simple linear input going somewhat swiftly into a turn, it leans out of the turn and almost feels like it's going to topple over - despite being smooth about it. If I try the sinusoidal input instead, it's completely different! It kind of squats down, almost leans into the turn and is far more stable. Wow!

I have yet to try this on track, but I image that the GT3's relatively stiff suspension and stiffer low profile tires will make the effect less noticeable. It'll be interesting to see.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I'm wondering if braking isn't the same thing. It would certainly explain variations on the theme that one should start by a softer application of the brakes to get the car to settle before squeezing harder. Similarly the idea of getting off the brakes in a more gentle fashion after a hard application. In fact if you combine these two you get: first soft on, then hard, then soft off. It's basically sinusoidal!

Something to ponder.

-Christian
For what it's worth that is the exact way I have to brake at T1 at Road America. The faster the speed, the more important you don't upset the car, especially if it's bucking like a bronco at 170mph!