Thread: Brake cooling
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Brake cooling

Great info Peter, thanks!

I've been following your threads on rotors, pads and cooling anticipating the need to upgade my components. But I've had an "unusual" experience with my car.

I switched from PCCB's this past March. I replaced with a lightly used set of '10 Cup rotors and calipers. The rotors are the same as the stock .2 GT3 steel. The front rotors had a moderate amount of cracking but nothing near the edge or interconnecting between holes. Assuming they wouldn't last long I purchased a backup pair of front rotors at the same time. Surprisingly I have not changed the original USED rotors and have about 18-20 days on them. Cracking has grown but still not at the point where I would replace. Granted I don't have the harsh Florida heat but I have run many days with ambient temps above 95f.

I am baffled by this......I fully expected to have replaced the original rotors and the replacement set by now. I don't know if it's a fluke, something to do with the GT2 cooling or the CUP caliper. Hopefully someone will come to my defense when it comes to driving hard....... I have stopped late braking every corner, not sure that makes a difference.

FWIW, I had converted my Cayman to GT3 rotors and calipers and would go through stock drilled rotors in less than 10 days with RS19 pads. I switched to AP and they've held up for 1yr and half. Although my wife drives it mostly now.

I ran RS19's most of this year and experience a lot of tapering. I flip them often. I've just switched to RS14 and will be watching the tapering. I will likely be trying some PFC 08s thanks to your feedback.