View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 AM
PCA Member

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Keep Or Sell? 3RS/Spyder vs Cup

I just reread this entire thread after seeing the weekly digest, and thought I'd comment on the thoughts re Spec Miata.

I haven't driven a Spec Miata, but I was offered a chance to drive a 944 in the Thunderhill 25. I thought I was a pretty decent driver, but had only competitively raced reasonably powered 911's of various types, so the 944 would be easy, having less brakes and power and traction, it would be an exercise in driving the right line and not making mistakes that slow down minimum corner or exit speed.

After a few laps, I think I've got it figured out and I'm on a decent pace. I ask the crew what my times are like. I can't remember the exact details (it was 8 or 9 years ago), but I was about 3 seconds off the fast lap. So I start working harder, having to really start to work to get it and keep it where I want to be. Now I must be on pace, right? Nope, still over a second slow! Time to man up. So I'm now really having to manhandle the car, keeping it right at the limit under braking, mid-corner, and on exit, of every single corner, for every lap, to finally get on the pace, and finally get the fast race lap in the car. What I expected to be a fairly easy session was anything but.

I learned a big lesson though - a slower car is NOT always easier to drive, I found it no less physically and mentally challenging than the 996 Cup, at least to be fully on a competitive pace. Gained a lot of respect for 944 Cup and Spec Miata drivers, and had a lot of fun. Did I have as much fun as in a Cup? Heck no, I'm not crazy :-)