Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
PCA Member

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Keep Or Sell? 3RS/Spyder vs Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I am glad the digest are having an impact

Interesting story. I always thought slower cars are easier to drive without much fun. The context is different of course, I can see how racing in spec series can be a lot of fun, slow or fast cars. But in DE environment, I find driving a slow car extremely frustrating. I am a competitive person, but only to a level. However, just driving around in my Cayman, before the GT3, was getting tiring and not much fun to the point that I was getting sour about DE'ing.

Nice input again Skypalace, thank you.
You're welcome!

I haven't done DE in years, I did one only after racing, but having to wait behind cars in corners made me crazy, after being able to pass whenever I was able to.

But I found it more and more frustrating doing DE's as I got faster (both driving and cars), as I spent more and more time held up behind other cars.

The challenge I had in the 944 was in the level of skill and concentration required to do a great lap. With a 'slow' car at a DE, as long as you're in an appropriate run group (ie. based on driver skill rather than car potential), you'd likely be able to do many clean laps laps practicing your craft, whereas in a faster car, you're much less likely to get fully clean laps.

What was getting frustrating about the Cayman? Was it being slow, or was it that you'd already done many DEs with it, so weren't learning or improving much any more, and thus the challenge and interest was going away, which came back once you moved to a different vehicle?

Whichever car it's in, have you thought about doing time trials, rather than just DE's, so that you've got something competitive to aim for (ie. improving your lap time and comparing it to others)? Now that most insurance companies have exclusions for DE events, it seems that one of the big reasons for not allowing stop watches etc. is gone. Of course the other (totally viable and significant) reason is to help reduce incidents from people driving past their abilities.