View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: MovIt Carbon Silicon Carbide Rotors as PCCB Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
Can someone provide a ballpark price for a set? Or is that some kind of secret?

Was this evaluation set provided to you at no cost or reduced cost?

Since the factory PCCB discs seem to hold up OK until 10 or 15 track days, I'd say that the jury is still out on the longevity of these. I will certainly watch closely and hope the claims prove to be true.

I don't understand why a billet caliper would prevent tappered pad wear. Can you provide more info?
Hi Gator Bite- Price is going to vary based on exchange rate (Euro) and options (specific application, friction ring size, w or w/o hats, etc). There are more variables than one might think. The way to get a quote is to contact the USA MovIt rep: Tom@tfent.com. No secrets, I am sure he will be happy to help you (accurately) price a set. I have no financial interest or benefits from any sales he makes.

The pictured discs were provided to me not for evaluation purposes (however I used the opportunity to make that my personal mission ) but as a "loaner" set of friction discs because my full system (I paid full price) was much delayed due to a variety of reasons. I thought it was a strong customer service gesture for them to do that. When my full system arrives, then it's my option to return or buy these loaners.

Based on my experience with the now dead PCCB discs (pics somewhere online but I will post them again to this thread) on my Spyder and GT3RS there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind the Movit discs are proving to be light-years ahead in wear characteristics under track use condition.

There are a wide variety of posts, over the years, on RL and 6Speed (easily searchable) regarding the tapered pad wear issue. General consensus is that the caliper is not rigid enough and flexes under track use conditions.

According to MovIt literature:

"MOVIT calipers with its 6-piston BILLET design, have bigger pistons (13 sets of custom designed configurations based on application), longer pads (108 cm²), are BILLET CNC machined from the highest strength 7075 aluminum and are T6 heat treated.

The caliper is much stronger than others and will not loose its strength even under high temperatures like cast calipers. The aluminum which is used in cast calipers (alsi5 or alsi7) has a strength factor of approximately 31,915.4-34,816.8 PSI. With an additional heat treatment this strength can be raised to approximately 42,070.3 PSI. The reason why most manufacturers use heat treated aluminum is simply the price. The material used for each "MOV’IT BILLET-CALIPER" has a strength factor of approximately 79,788.5- 82,689.9 PSI. So, the possibility to expand under growing pressure and heat is totally eliminated. CNC machined calipers need less space than cast calipers that can be used with a bigger disc under the same rim then the cast calipers. The material and the extremely strong and "wide" design of the "MOV’IT BILLET-Calipers" means the pressure to the pad is applied evenly even under extreme pressure, greater then 21,754.5 PSI. The heat is transferred to the maximum possible surface area, the temperature stays lower and the durability of all parts is higher. Cast calipers do not compress the pads evenly to the rotor when they expand under higher pressure or temperature. So, the rotor is not evenly heated and the pads wear faster and unevenly. A loss of the already lower braking force of cast calipers"

I do have a full MovIt system on my Spyder now since December: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-insanity.html which I paid full price for. After approx 7 hours of tracking, it is proof to me that MovIt offers a high-priced but even more high-value solution to those of us seeking a "lifetime" brake system for which we don't have to buy rotors ever again or flip pads after every 2 track days. There is no noticeable pad wear nor is the paint on the pads even discolored! (pics attached) That performance is hard to argue with.

It won't be a solution for everyone, or even most, as the value proposition can be a challenge to wrap one's head around. But it is there and it is quite compelling for those who have researched the current OE and aftermarket offerings and found them unsatisfying.

Folks who have read me over the years on RL/6Speed/TeamSpeed/RennTeam 2.0, and know me in person are aware I am an early adopter, and experiment with outside the box solutions. And then I post what my experiences are. Some are good, some not so much. To those who are not aware of my background and history might think I am a guerrilla marketer, but the truth is I am a "free-marketer" and a manufacturers greatest advocate or worst enemy. My efforts (100% voluntary and unpaid) on building gt2gt3cup.org are recent proof of that claim

Your questions are good and appropriate and if I can expand on anything I am happy to do so, just ask!

Spyder w/MovIt full system:

Click the image to open in full size.

Seven hours of hard track time. No pad discoloration, rotors look new, no noticeable pad wear.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Trackrat; 07-07-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: correct Spyder brake install date