View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: DE, Why Bother?

great post trackrate.
i have been and still am in both. let me shed some light here.

1. DE is no pressure and very relaxing: yes, indeed. i dont like to hire track support, i am cheap. but without track support. it's EXTREMELY tiring. and i am in very good physical shape with 6 miles runs daily. u chk and recheck everything. tire management is crucial. i have practice tires, qual tires and race tires. so every session, i need to swap tires.

2. Lower cost of participation. Much fewer consumables: indeed. you drive until tires cord. i drive a few HC then i need new tires.

3. Less chance of car to car contact.: yep. BSR hit 2x already. 13 13 rules whatever, if you race, you will rub. or like me, be rubbed.

4. Less chance of catastrophic crash due to wheel to wheel contact.: i haven't had one. but it's a matter of when, not if.

5. A DE car can be and usually is street legal. A pure race car is not street legal. A Cup car can never be street legal.: yes, street legal technicaly but you dont really want to drive your blue car on street much. i dont drive my stripper or BSR on street anymore. but in a pinch i can, cup car i cannot.

6. DE gives you a whole lot more track time and events during the year to participate in.: right on. but to fix that issue. i will run with GGR at BW in both club race group and red group. of course i am not sure the car can be driven that hard that long. so wild mind is now thinking getting a dually and two car trailer. that's two cars for ME for a weekend. but as you all know. i am mentally unstable.

7. You can make any changes to your car that you like as there is no rule book to restrict you.
that's exactly why i hate to pick a class then buy a car. i like to pick a car then race. i dont care about winning $5 trophies. if there's a $10M purse at the end of the day, i be interested. but for $5 i like to do my OWN rules and fun.