Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: How To Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Herman View Post
This is probably getting off-topic, and maybe worthy of another thread, but I see plenty of people looping it and going off-track due to poor technique and lack of car feel. It's not that they are being too aggressive as much as how they are driving causes the car to go from 8/10ths to 11/10ths instantly, and beyond their ability to recognize it. I am firmly convinced that barring an improperly setup car, there is no such thing as a snap-spin that "just happened". The situations that can result in that type of car behavior are predictable and recognizable. Then again, maybe that is precisely what is defined as "driving beyond ones ability".
Well, I think part of the problem is how HPDE teaches people how to brake- usually an A/X brake zone exercise. That does nothing to actually promote feel of the braking, although it teaches the student that they have powerful brakes. If anything it teaches students they can be hamfisted in their input.

Skill requires sensitivity. If you can't sense it how can you react to it? I had a related issue with a friend recently- he insisted on turning up the radio in the car, and I kept telling him I couldn't drive the car properly without hearing the engine (manual trans). He doesn't drive stick. Can you see the problem- we can't relate because our POV is so different- and that's part of the problem with a lot of beginners- they want to go fast on a track, without the associated learning and experience. As for my friend, I told him he needs to stick to his Lexus...