View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Re: Minimal essential mods to tracked GT3/RS

I had the same objectives as you in selecting a brand and model. With Porsche/Cayman, I found the answer and the GT3 just made things so much better for me. It is the perfect car in which I can go to work in a suite (business, not racing ) and go to track without changing anything, I just push couple of buttons. Single car, single maintenance, one operating budget, one payment, dual purposes served and no trailering.

In your list, I'd add wheels and tires though.

But I have to ask...

As far as I can tell, you only take your RS to the track and not drive it daily. For you, would it not have made more sense to buy an actual track- or race-prep'd car? I don't mean a Cup car necessarily, but even a spec 911 would have done pretty well probably. I don't know if you remember the Excellence article in which they compared a spec 911 racer to a 997.1 GT3 RS to a 2006 or 7 Cup car. They concluded that the Spec 911 was a better value if the purpose was to track it only, and the GT3 RS only made sense if one was to track infrequently and intends to drive the car on the street daily or over the weekends. That article made quite a bit of sense to me.

So, why the 7.2 RS for you?