View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Minimal essential mods to tracked GT3/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
OK, you can go nuts (Trackrat ) and make the car materially better and faster.

I on the other hand bought the RS because I like to leave the car as stock as possible and enhance warranty chances. My essential enhancements are only aimed at safety, durability and lowering operating cost.

Essential to me:
- SRF brake fluid and endurance pads.
- Grippier pedals for better heel n toe. More so if you have big feet.
- Roll bar and 6 point seat belts 9Both seats!) for safety and track comfort. Don't forget Hans belts and Hans device.
- Full wrap or you will have to repaint eventually
- Studs in caliper, or you will eventually strip out an upright.
- Cup splitter, they are cheaper and more flexible
- Gurney flap. OK, this is questionable but it balances out CUP lip.
- CUP LSD, the car needs it to be more stable and maybe wishful
thinking but it might keep transmission temps down.
- CUP rear toe arms, hold better allignment, saves on tires.
- Slotted front rotors, will pay back in nextended life over OEM cross drilled ones.
- Sharky bypass final exhaust if you have an RS because the OEM ones burn out in only a few track days and I doubt they keep replacing them 3x a year.
- Brake caliper piston puck holder, or you'll spend ours fishing the pucks out of your rotors.

I think that's it. Did I forget something?
A good list and let me add:

I have the understanding that SRF has been related to ABS seals in the system swelling over time and causing problems and that factory fill for Cup cars is now Endless fluid. With that said I have SRF in my 3RS and plan to swap it out to Endless sometime this year. I will try to confirm the validity of this claim but it comes from a reputable source.

My calipers have been on and off 10-15 times over one year and threads are fine. I DO make it a point to ALWAYS use brake clean spray on the threads (male/female) to remove any possible dirt or contaminant. Assemble clean and dry. So far no problems. But I think dirty threads and/or air tools could easily damage the threads.