View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: MovIt Carbon Silicon Carbide Rotors as PCCB Replacement?

MovIt update. Using OE sized carbon/silicon/carbide friction discs only, (not the calipers, not the available oversized rotors) I can report the following based on 15 track days (30-35 hours of race style usage on GT2/3RS :

1. Using a digital caliper there is no measurable wear of the friction disc. None. Zip. Zilch.
2. The original machine marks and crosshatch pattern is still visible on the surface.
3. The surface remains very smooth to the touch.
4. The "phonograph" style grooving is visible to the eye but not felt by the finger. Cosmetic only.
5. Pad wear time and tapered wear pattern is essentially the same as OE, perhaps a 20% improvement. Still require you to flip after a few track days. No billet calipers (yet) equal a tapered wear pad, just that simple.

Because these friction discs are so bulletproof, you can wait a bit longer than pad friction material being at thickness of backing plate rule of thumb for pad replacement. I am advised the friction disc will not be damaged (!) in the event of backing plate contact but not a game I am willing to play to get "one more session" from a set of pads. At least you are not playing with a $$$$ catastrophe as with the OE PCCB friction discs.

As far as friction disc (rotor) the MovIt Carbon/Silicon/Carbide product does appear to be a truly lifetime solution to worn friction discs (rotors).

I will be installing their new full system including billet calipers for GT3/GT3 fitment in approx 6 weeks as well as a massive, direct-replacement, rotors only, 396mmx40 front rotor and 380mm rear rotor kit (without the MovIt Billet Caliper) and report on those. Based on the superb performance of only an OE sized friction disc, the result should be "monumental".

Click the image to open in full size.

The markings you see are cosmetic, surface is smooth to the touch.

Smooth as a baby's butt!

That is original honing marks/crosshatch you see there-

More original honing marks