View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: GT3 RS 4.0 Official announcement and video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
Greetings all. New guy here. Learning (slowly) about GT cars. Thanks for your efforts in setting up and building out the site as a community and resource.

This car (engine) looks epic. In addition to Xeattle's question, I'm interested in whether or not the "ice pedal" issue has been diagnosed and/or addressed. Are any site members able to confirm the solution or refute the issue with facts?

Prior to this post I researched the Web and cannot seem to find statistics on occurrence or credible consensus on causality. However, there appears to be attention-worthy anecdotal evidence, and everyone agrees that missing turns and hitting walls is sub-optimal.

With regards to the GT3RS 4.0 Mr. Preuninger is on record stating the following: a) "It's as close to the race car a street-legal car can possibly get." - Official Porsche launch video. b) "God-like engine.", c) "We know our customer use these cars very hard so we have to really look for the most, best, performance and the best reliability of these engines." - Evo interview.

Based on these statements it would seem reasonable to consider the above-mentioned issues attended to. However, these are assumptions I would prefer to retire prior to purchase, or factor into costs as "preparation & safety" expenditure.

Regarding the infamous "ice pedal" please don't respond with "deal with it" or "drive around it" as per other forums. No offense meant to anyone here. It exists or it doesn't. Absent abnormal and extenuating circumstances, well maintained brakes should work. Period. (Unless, of course, one is willing to drink from the fountain of $50K to keep pumping your brakes Kool-Aid.)

Again, no intention of being inflammatory. I have a deposit down on one of these as my first GT and want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks again for the site.
Lightweight- welcome to the site!

I want to say something immediately: In 65 track days over the past 2 years in a GT3RS, GT2RS and Boxster Spyder (all PCCB, some days with P50, some P40 pads) I have never experienced the so-called ice pedal. My track times in these cars place me solidly in the red/open run groups of the tracks I run in so the brakes receive their fair share of use. My cars run OE tire and wheel sizing.

With that said- I personally know a person who is very fast and very smart and runs massively oversized slicks (Hoosiers) and he has experienced "the pedal". So my personal opinion on this matter at this point in time is that if you choose to alter tire sizing from what is specified as OE in the owners manual then you bear the responsibility for whatever bad traits that may trigger in the various ECU's of the car.

As can be well known from reading Trackrat/Savyboy posts littered all over the electronic landscape over the years it should be crystal clear that while I love me some track time in my Porsche, I am mighty quick to point out what I perceive as a design/manufacturing shortcomings so no one can ever accuse me of being a brand apologist. While fully open minded to more facts being aired, currently "ice pedal" is the very least of my worries.

If you have the opportunity to purchase a 4.0 I respectfully suggest you jump on the chance as fast as humanly possible.

Last edited by Trackrat; 05-02-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: add PCCB and pad detail