Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions
Register Forums FAQs Search

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Now Rotors After 3 Track Events...

Ahhh, the CLs prevent some of the standard solutions; I see.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
The cracks are wider then on mine, but shorter.
I would be OK with these for another 3 days at VIR but order new ones for after that.

My car replaced fronts after 16 days and I have now 8 days on them 12 when I get back from Ratl and VIR in 2 weeks. I expect them to last about 20 days (Less Sebring on these), so in a couple of weeks I will be buying something slotted.

I've only run Pagid R29, replaced them at 50% or 6 days (Feels crappy) , but I hope to try endless next for longer better brake feel.
Just curious what rotors you are running now, and if you are changing, what brand are you planning to go to. I think rather than go down the 20k ceramic replacement I will go down the steel conversion road.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Still running OEM, I have still 4-6 track days in them.
There are a few easy conversions I think from the OEM PCCB. It is not identical to steel.

I think AP as a ready to go solution for PCCB cars. It looks like I will switch rotors and pads to PFC as the CUP cars are running that this season = lots of testing, less expensive and good availability. Once I get them I will post what I learn.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
Still running OEM, I have still 4-6 track days in them.
There are a few easy conversions I think from the OEM PCCB. It is not identical to steel.

I think AP as a ready to go solution for PCCB cars. It looks like I will switch rotors and pads to PFC as the CUP cars are running that this season = lots of testing, less expensive and good availability. Once I get them I will post what I learn.
Thats why I love this forum. I dont have to spend the money to learn what other people have already figured out.

From the info from my dealer the factor OEM steel rotor is a direct replacement for the PCCB. I plan on running the OEM rotors with the pagid p29's, that is unless something better comes along with out having to change calipers.

This little hobbie has become quite the adventure.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

FRONT: OEM steel rotors +/- $1000.00 (Suncoast) last about 16 hard track days, Hats = discs cost +/- $2000.00, but replacement discs are $1000 afterwards but should last 2x or 3x longer.

OK, if they are interchangeable, but I have found this on Rennlist:
The rotor fits over the hub just fine. No issues with spacing or offset. The 997.2 GT3/RS steel front rotors are dimensionally identical to the 997.1 PCCB rotors in how they fit over the hub and align laterally (using the plane of the axle as the z axis) in the caliper.

The difference is the alignment in the horizontal, front to rear, or x axis of the caliper brake pad surface. The PCCB rotor is a true 2 piece design (consumable CC friction ring mounted to a reusable aluminum hat) while the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor is a one piece construction (steel friction ring wedded to an aluminum non reusable hat- see below).

Click the image to open in full size.

The alignment issue is a result of the void between the hat and the friction ring in the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor. With out shimming the caliper ~2.5mm away from this void the anterior (inner) brake pad surface would impinge in this area (apparently there is a Porsche service bulletin about this) while the posterior (outer) brake pad surface would be too far from the outside edge of the friction ring. Shimming out the caliper properly aligns the brake pad surface and friction ring for optimal performance.

I am not certain why the void between the friction ring and hat section exists. If I guessed it would be a function of weight savings and cooling efficiency. What ever the reason for the void it makes the alignment of the brake pad and friction ring more critical for the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor than for the 997.1 GT3/RS PCCB rotor (PCCB rotor has more friction ring surface area than the 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotor due mainly to this void).

Sold '07GT3 white

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 05-10-2011 at 11:44 PM.