Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions
Register Forums FAQs Search

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Re: Close Call at South Bend

Yes, I looked at AIM, Vbox and Racekeeper but I wanted to wait to see if any company would take the lead for wide spread support. Orbit is just starting to use VBox. It looks nice, but I wanted them to get a bit more experience before I garbage the Traqmate, but now it has become totally useless, except for seeing my laptimes as I pass start/finish.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

One thing that would be really nice if we can choose something for our Register members, so we can share files across the board. I am not sure there is an ideal setup that will please everyone, but at least for DE purposes, we would need something reliable with support and easy to use.

Frankly, the RacePak unit I have, has been very reliable, almost fire-and-forget type if you don't worry about the TPS, RPM and other electrical connections as options, and their support has been superb. When I have an issue with the software, they remotely connect to my laptop and do things for me What is not so nice is the Datalink software, cumbersome and complex at best.

So now I am looking at this: http://www.chasecam.com/catalog/29/dm10datamodule

The software seems to be very good as I hear, the new version, cheap, auto video/data integration and reliable ODBII connection via ODBII cable, so single cable, you get all. It is still lacking yaw readings, but for the price, I can live with it.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

The only problem with Chasecam is their video systems. They are horribly unreliable. Systems like the POV-VIO 1.5, the GoPro HD, and even SmartyCam are the preferred solutions. If I went with an all-in-one solution I would go with SmartyCam. Scott has the setup and it is very cool.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

But how do you get the data out of SmartyCam to do actual analysis, not just show-and-tell?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

The SC is tough to beat for and all-in-one for:
  • laptimes and speeds (based off GPS)
  • G meter
  • video with data overlay in one shot
Its rechargeable and can last a full day, and the video is easy to pull off of the micro SD.

However, if you want RPM, throttle, brake, etc, you need an ECU bridge, which I did install myself without too much issue; this setup however still isn't a true datalogger; I've heard it might be in the future though.

I am now running the EVO4 + MyChron3 + SC. (link) (link)

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

AIM setup is only a true data logger with an EVO or other datalogger unit; the SC only does video with the data overlay.

I think its time to break this out into another thread. :>)

Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Fatih, Scott just covered it. With that said, SmartyCam has the ability to provide the data file if that open that open to the end user. But right now, it is just overlay with the data file locked inside

My reco for SC was based on the poor performance of the ChaseCam camera systems.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Data loggers are definitely another thread. I am working on an approach, but I still need few weeks to possibly bring an option for our Register. We'll see...
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fts View Post
one thing that would be really nice if we can choose something for our register members, so we can share files across the board. I am not sure there is an ideal setup that will please everyone, but at least for de purposes, we would need something reliable with support and easy to use.
+911
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

I just overnighted my Trackmate Display Unit to Traqmate in a last ditch effort..

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered PCA Member

I was referring to street cars.. I beat the crap outta the gators on my race car!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

I put these side by side:

I think it is all tire grip, brakes and LSD, I seem to drive the same?
Rear tires because they were corded day one and full thread day 2, the front hooks up much better but that is because LSD losened up, the front tires I had in 2011 were about 12/13 days old.

2010 Much faster through sweepers, ass planted much more. What I lose in T1 I make more than up through S-es. Temps were colder needed 6th. on back straight, even coming out of Oaktree slower in 2nd.
2011 Much faster through T1 and oaktree.

Next time I will try short shifting through the small first S-es.

2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goB2-...mbedded#at=240
2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQ2K0pTwo4

Sold '07GT3 white

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 05-02-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: compared the 2 video's/
Old 05-03-2011, 01:09 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

It is hard to find fault from the videos given the corded/used up tires; without grip and/or full braking ability that comes with new pads, it is hard to do any better IMHO, but here it goes:
  • I really think you are loosing time by shifting to 4th and back down to 3rd between T1 adn T3. And because you are down shifting to 3rd at the entry of T3, you Vmin was a little too low laps 2 and 3.
  • I know you can carry more speed through T5a, you just don't seem to be committed to the turn enough may be.
  • The uphill esses, T10 seems great, but you are over-braking into T11, and then turning in a little too early into T11a (Oak Tree), your Vmin is in the low 40s, whereas you can keep it up to higher 40s (48-49 mph).
  • You top speed is lower than I expected, only about 2-3 mph higher than mine, I wonder if you're car is heavier than mine, but I would have expected a little higher on the straights
  • Going into T16 and taking Hog Pen in 4th I think results in a very slight lower speed that may be impacting you on the front straight rather than the Hog Pen itself. You maybe overbraking into T16, it seemed like you could wait tiny bit longer before hitting the brakes, but hard to tell with the vid only.

Cheers,
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Thanks Fatih!
  • I really think you are loosing time by shifting to 4th and back down to 3rd between T1 adn T3. And because you are down shifting to 3rd at the entry of T3, you Vmin was a little too low laps 2 and 3.
I wish you were right, I partly agree. I tried, but hate bouncing the car off the rev limiter. Rev limiter messes with balance too even if it would be faster, I could learn to drive it I guess, but just hate the sound, feeling and TypeI overrevs.
It is faster in T14. No rev limiter there, but I went to 6 if I was not on a good flyer lap. You are right in that I overslow the car still.
  • I know you can carry more speed through T5a, you just don't seem to be committed to the turn enough may be.
I agree looking at the video, I really tried but I screwed up often and slid over 5b. Sometimes rear, sometimes front washed out.
Taking it in 4th. might settle the car better? Needs work for sure, just not sure how yet.
  • The uphill esses, T10 seems great, but you are over-braking into T11, and then turning in a little too early into T11a (Oak Tree), your Vmin is in the low 40s, whereas you can keep it up to higher 40s (48-49 mph).
Need coaching there too. I had it so side ways into T11 and on my way to Oaktree, slowing me down through oaktree so many time, I backed it up to make sure I got it right through Oaktree.
  • You top speed is lower than I expected, only about 2-3 mph higher than mine, I wonder if you're car is heavier than mine, but I would have expected a little higher on the straights
Non RS is always slower. More wing and wide body. At Sebring we can pass CUP cars in MKI GT3, they are faster out of the corner because of gearing, but than we'd catch up on longer gearing with much less drag. Same here.
  • Going into T16 and taking Hog Pen in 4th I think results in a very slight lower speed that may be impacting you on the front straight rather than the Hog Pen itself. You maybe overbraking into T16, it seemed like you could wait tiny bit longer before hitting the brakes, but hard to tell with the vid only.
Agreed completely, each time I tried to brake a little later/less I could not keep my foot going down onto front straight. I tried 3rd. but upset my flow and made it even more difficlt to keep therear planted. Here I know what to do, but can't

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Thanks for the comparison vids, I really need to get back to VIR