Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions
Register Forums FAQs Search

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 05-14-2011, 08:19 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default How Different Is Driving a Cup Car?

So how difficult is it to move from a street GT3 to a GT3 Cup? When you first get in a Cup and you try to go, what happens?

It sounds like a silly question, even to me, but I am sure it is such a different environment, I wonder how much of a steep curve it is to learn to drive it.

Thank you,
Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: How Different Is Driving a Cup Car?

Moving from modern street GT3 to 996 Cup is relatively easy transition. The lower weight of the Cup is offset by less HP (370-390 vs 435-450) so absolute speed difference is not that great. 996 Cups have standard manual transmission and ABS providing a level of forgiveness not found in 997 Cup.

What you notice initially: noise and immediacy of controls creates much higher sensory load. Suspension is considerably stiffer which translates to much less vertical motion. Assuming you're running slicks, slip angles are lower and threshold between sliding and breakaway is much narrower. Cornering limits/speeds are ultimately higher...once you get there. Major difference between learning to drive it and learning to drive it fast. Can't speak to the latter.

Re: 997 Cup, can only speak from the right-hand seat, but the big difference is the sequential box, which ratchets the intensity level up a healthy couple of notches. Lack of ABS demands higher level of braking skill...so I'm told. And it's a healthy chunk faster.

Last edited by CWS; 05-14-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Send me and I promise to post a detailed report!

http://www.porschedriving.com/Porsch...--GT3-Cup.aspx
Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

You read my mind that is an awesome program I think.

I had a huge sensory overload the first time I was on the track with the GT3 coming from a Cayman, I just cannot imagine how it would be in a cup car. The squential transmission itself must be something, I hear how difficult to it is to get it rolling even.

I am just curious about the driving experience, I gotta find a cup car to try it out, I wouldn't be a good advocate without such an experience even if it is just for few minutes, would I?

Last edited by FTS; 05-15-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
You read my mind that is an awesome program I think.

I had a huge sensory overload the first time I was on the track with the GT3 coming from a Cayman, I just cannot imagine how it would be in a cup car. The squential transmission itself must be something, I hear how difficult to it is to get it rolling even.

I am just curious about the driving experience, I gotta find a cup car to try it out, I wouldn't be a good advocate without such an experience even if it is just for few minutes, would I?
Happy to give you a ride if we happen to land at the same event. Maybe NJMP?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Thank you so much for the offer. I guess you have a passenger seat? I'd love to experience the drive. Which NJMP event are you scheduled to go?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Thank you so much for the offer. I guess you have a passenger seat? I'd love to experience the drive. Which NJMP event are you scheduled to go?
Whichever one I can talk my transport into attending. Keep you posted.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:28 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS View Post
Moving from modern street GT3 to 996 Cup is a relatively easy transition. The lower weight of the Cup is offset by less HP (370-390 vs 435-450) so absolute speed difference is not that great. 996 Cups have standard manual transmission and ABS providing a level of forgiveness not found in 997 Cup.

What you notice initially: noise and immediacy of controls creates much higher sensory load. Suspension is considerably stiffer which translates to much less vertical motion. Assuming you're running slicks, slip angles are lower and threshold between sliding and breakaway is much narrower. Cornering limits/speeds are ultimately higher...once you get there. Major difference between learning to drive it and learning to drive it fast. Can't speak to the latter.

Re: 997 Cup, can only speak from the right-hand seat, but the big difference is the sequential box, which ratchets the intensity level up a healthy couple of notches. Lack of ABS demands higher level of braking skill...so I'm told. And it's a healthy chunk faster.
+100

Agree with all comments: going from MPSC or Hoosiers to real slicks requires far better car control skills and some adjustment (i.e. seat time) to truly put a cup on the limit. Once you getting heat in the slicks, which requires pretty aggressive driving (imho, and particularly getting heat in the fronts), you will be amazed how incredible the car grips. And going back to a street car from a cup will truly expose all the limitations of even the most prepped street car for the track (nothing like weight reduction).

A 7 cup takes longer to learn when coming from a 6 or 6 cup; no abs, adjustable brake bias, having excellent heel and toes with a sequential, and better aero on a 7 cup. That said, once you learn a sequential, you never want to go back......
Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thusly View Post
+100

Agree with all comments: going from MPSC or Hoosiers to real slicks requires far better car control skills and some adjustment (i.e. seat time) to truly put a cup on the limit. Once you getting heat in the slicks, which requires pretty aggressive driving (imho, and particularly getting heat in the fronts), you will be amazed how incredible the car grips. And going back to a street car from a cup will truly expose all the limitations of even the most prepped street car for the track (nothing like weight reduction).

A 7 cup takes longer to learn when coming from a 6 or 6 cup; no abs, adjustable brake bias, having excellent heel and toes with a sequential, and better aero on a 7 cup. That said, once you learn a sequential, you never want to go back......
Fred- great to see you here! Welcome and look forward to your contributions

Pete
Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

That is a challenge I would look forward to, driving cars that are more and more difficult. That is one of the reason I was set on the GT3, thus it hasn't disappointed me LOL, quite challenging to get to its limits.

Thank you very much for the all responses.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrat View Post
Fred- great to see you here! Welcome and look forward to your contributions

Pete
Pete - thanks and congrats on the GT2RS (and write-up)!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Street car....sex with a condom

Cup car.....bare back sex with a supermodel
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

lmao...
Old 05-18-2011, 01:16 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

I still am not sure what the difference is, I haven't done it bare back