Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Re: 911 Platform, Is It Forgiving?

I think you make good points as well. What the word "forgiving" to me means is recoverability from a mistake induced from an input from the driver. As you mentioned, if you get into a slide with the CS, it is very likely that you will spin. However, with the GT3, thus far at least, even when the back "snaps," recovering has been much easier for me.

However having said this, I think what you are stating is that with speeds the GT3 reaches and how quickly it reaches them, there is a lot for the driver to consider while driving it, and there are more opportunities for a driver input to induce an unwanted reaction from the car.

Does it make sense?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hello All. My first post on this great website.

I am also a change over driver from the 987 platform to the 997.

My car is a 2008 911S with pretty much a completely adjustable suspension: Bilstein coilovers (PASM compatible), two piece LCA's, TPC sways (5/4 adjustments). Tarrett links and toe kit, dog bones.

I had a very nice setup on my 987 RS60 Boxster and was very confident in the car. During the period where I way getting the suspension setup (this done over many DEs) I had a temporary period that gave me snap oversteer, which was very unnerving to say the least!

It was at that time that I realized that a mid engine car is not only very neutral to inputs, but that it will also rotate quite freely once the limit is reached.

Now my track days are in the 997 platform: I initially felt that the tail end was way to influential, especially at higher speeds. I had the corner weighting changed to get the back end down a little and now even with crappy street tires (PS2s) the car is just a second or so slower than the boxster was, even though the Boxster had DOT comp tires and race seat and restraints. (these two items: tires, restraints are good for about 4 plus seconds a lap by my estimation). I can throttle steer the car at both low and high speed. The car settles in just fine powering through apexes.

I have quickly forgotten that the engine is "way back there".

The Boxster was lighter and the 911 has more power but I think that is pretty close to an equal trade off.

Engine HP on the Boxster was 325, and the 911 is about 375. Boxster wieghed 3000, 911 weights just under 3200.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurnes View Post
Hello All. My first post on this great website.
Thank you jurnes, and welcome, great first post.

Quote:
I am also a change over driver from the 987 platform to the 997.

Now my track days are in the 997 platform: I initially felt that the tail end was way to influential, especially at higher speeds. I had the corner weighting changed to get the back end down a little and now even with crappy street tires (PS2s) the car is just a second or so slower than the boxster was, even though the Boxster had DOT comp tires and race seat and restraints. (these two items: tires, restraints are good for about 4 plus seconds a lap by my estimation). I can throttle steer the car at both low and high speed. The car settles in just fine powering through apexes.

I have quickly forgotten that the engine is "way back there".
It is really interesting that all the feedback we have had thus far mirrors your experiences. We ought to write an article on this, I bet we would get a lot of fan and angry emails