Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: GT3 RS 4.0 Official announcement and video

Thanks for the details Pete.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS View Post
Luv'em!

Kept it to one word - hope it's clear.
+ 1

Until they crack too much, but they are a consumable after all.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

Now that I am home from work and actually have time to digest this stuff, I am just mesmerized with this car. I had convinced myself that this "rumor" was not something that I would desire, I have my GT3, and fits me and my needs perfectly, I do not need an RS38 and certainly not a RS40. I also thought Porsche would not spend the money for the R&D to really push the engine to 500 hp, it is just too much for a street car, they would reserve that level of power to the next version, 911 or what ever it is.

Well, I am really surprised by this. Normally aspirated, reliable, engine with GT2 level power! How sweet would this be? I also like the comparatively understated look, just superb. I WANT ONE!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I also thought Porsche would not spend the money for the R&D to really push the engine to 500 hp, it is just too much for a street car, they would reserve that level of power to the next version, 911 or what ever it is.
Majority of engine R&D was already spent in developing the GT3 RSR race car. Virtually everything else with exception of airbox is straight off the GT2 RS. Rather than additional R&D spend, this is a way to amortize R&D already spent. Very logical.

Last edited by CWS; 04-29-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

In terms of R&D I meant adapting some of the RSR components into a steet environment, not engine design. The cost I am sure was significantly lower than designing it from ground up, but developing neww specs for the engine, which a mixture of RS38 components and RSR 40 components with warranty must have required some development. i thought they wouldn't spend it, or defocus resources from the next version's development. In either case, they nailed it IMHO
Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Who thought we would see the day when there was 500hp from a NA gt car
Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Does anyone know if they have fixed the coolant line epoxy issues on this 4.0 motor? I'm just wondering if there is a new water pump manifold with built in fittings or if they have done away with the epoxy glued in fittings.

Maybe there will be a Porsche part that can be retrofitted on existing GT1 engines.

Does anyone know if the Cup Car engines share the same epoxy water line fittings. Probably not such a big deal with 80 hour run cycles before the mandatory motor swap but I'm just trying to see if Porsche has addressed the issue.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeattle View Post
Does anyone know if they have fixed the coolant line epoxy issues on this 4.0 motor?
Greetings all. New guy here. Learning (slowly) about GT cars. Thanks for your efforts in setting up and building out the site as a community and resource.

This car (engine) looks epic. In addition to Xeattle's question, I'm interested in whether or not the "ice pedal" issue has been diagnosed and/or addressed. Are any site members able to confirm the solution or refute the issue with facts?

Prior to this post I researched the Web and cannot seem to find statistics on occurrence or credible consensus on causality. However, there appears to be attention-worthy anecdotal evidence, and everyone agrees that missing turns and hitting walls is sub-optimal.

With regards to the GT3RS 4.0 Mr. Preuninger is on record stating the following: a) "It's as close to the race car a street-legal car can possibly get." - Official Porsche launch video. b) "God-like engine.", c) "We know our customer use these cars very hard so we have to really look for the most, best, performance and the best reliability of these engines." - Evo interview.

Based on these statements it would seem reasonable to consider the above-mentioned issues attended to. However, these are assumptions I would prefer to retire prior to purchase, or factor into costs as "preparation & safety" expenditure.

Regarding the infamous "ice pedal" please don't respond with "deal with it" or "drive around it" as per other forums. No offense meant to anyone here. It exists or it doesn't. Absent abnormal and extenuating circumstances, well maintained brakes should work. Period. (Unless, of course, one is willing to drink from the fountain of $50K to keep pumping your brakes Kool-Aid.)

Again, no intention of being inflammatory. I have a deposit down on one of these as my first GT and want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks again for the site.

Last edited by Trackrat; 05-02-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
Greetings all. New guy here. Learning (slowly) about GT cars. Thanks for your efforts in setting up and building out the site as a community and resource.

This car (engine) looks epic. In addition to Xeattle's question, I'm interested in whether or not the "ice pedal" issue has been diagnosed and/or addressed. Are any site members able to confirm the solution or refute the issue with facts?

Prior to this post I researched the Web and cannot seem to find statistics on occurrence or credible consensus on causality. However, there appears to be attention-worthy anecdotal evidence, and everyone agrees that missing turns and hitting walls is sub-optimal.

With regards to the GT3RS 4.0 Mr. Preuninger is on record stating the following: a) "It's as close to the race car a street-legal car can possibly get." - Official Porsche launch video. b) "God-like engine.", c) "We know our customer use these cars very hard so we have to really look for the most, best, performance and the best reliability of these engines." - Evo interview.

Based on these statements it would seem reasonable to consider the above-mentioned issues attended to. However, these are assumptions I would prefer to retire prior to purchase, or factor into costs as "preparation & safety" expenditure.

Regarding the infamous "ice pedal" please don't respond with "deal with it" or "drive around it" as per other forums. No offense meant to anyone here. It exists or it doesn't. Absent abnormal and extenuating circumstances, well maintained brakes should work. Period. (Unless, of course, one is willing to drink from the fountain of $50K to keep pumping your brakes Kool-Aid.)

Again, no intention of being inflammatory. I have a deposit down on one of these as my first GT and want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks again for the site.
Lightweight- welcome to the site!

I want to say something immediately: In 65 track days over the past 2 years in a GT3RS, GT2RS and Boxster Spyder (all PCCB, some days with P50, some P40 pads) I have never experienced the so-called ice pedal. My track times in these cars place me solidly in the red/open run groups of the tracks I run in so the brakes receive their fair share of use. My cars run OE tire and wheel sizing.

With that said- I personally know a person who is very fast and very smart and runs massively oversized slicks (Hoosiers) and he has experienced "the pedal". So my personal opinion on this matter at this point in time is that if you choose to alter tire sizing from what is specified as OE in the owners manual then you bear the responsibility for whatever bad traits that may trigger in the various ECU's of the car.

As can be well known from reading Trackrat/Savyboy posts littered all over the electronic landscape over the years it should be crystal clear that while I love me some track time in my Porsche, I am mighty quick to point out what I perceive as a design/manufacturing shortcomings so no one can ever accuse me of being a brand apologist. While fully open minded to more facts being aired, currently "ice pedal" is the very least of my worries.

If you have the opportunity to purchase a 4.0 I respectfully suggest you jump on the chance as fast as humanly possible.

Last edited by Trackrat; 05-02-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: add PCCB and pad detail
Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Congrats on the 4.o. Please get, pleeaase!

Quote:
However, there appears to be attention-worthy anecdotal evidence, and everyone agrees that missing turns and hitting walls is sub-optimal
Hihi, yes, hitting walls is sub-optimal

What Trackrat said is right..

I can not say that it is exclusively on PCCB cars, but all the ones I personally know that had it had PCCB. If anybody had it himself, I would love to hear from them.

I run about 30 track days a year, usually laptimes similar to the faster drivers on the track. Some of the faster guys are the guys doing the same amount of tracks days as me.
None of us had the ICE pedal. Ever. A total of what, 600 track days?

I have run myself about 60 track days in a GT3 now, sometimes on Hoosiers, mostly on Toyo RA1.

Only my limited observation; PCCB, non OEM pads and (maybe) not OEM size Hoosiers or slicks.

On the other hand there is at least one drivers who claim to be able to duplicate it at will on certain tracks in certain corners doing a certain action. He runs PCCB.

To me it is certainly no reason not to buy any RS, let alone the 4.0

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Lightweight, welcome.

I'll add my personal opinions. I doubt that they did anything different to the coolant line connectors or the lines themselves, but I do not think anyone knows, save for Stuttgart engineers. In their view the issue is too infrequent statistically to "solve" it. And I do not think anyone has statistics to prove them wrong at this time.

As for the ice pedal: reading all the posts closely on this matter across the electronic world and talking with few race car engineers, I am convinced that there isn't a design issue with the ABS system. That is not to say that the ice mode does not exist, it does and we keep hearing reports relatively frequently. Just like any system, Porsche street ABS is designed to work within certain parameters, and we don't know what those parameters are. That is the reason, we are trying to collect data slightly differently per our thread in Problem Reports. I hope we'll have enough data some time in the future to either influence Porsche to look at the issue more closely or ourselves in using the system differently.

As others alluded, I am convinced the issue occurs with the way one uses the brake pedal in conjunction with tire, brake disk, pad choices. But I am speculating as well.

In short, do not expect those problems to be addressed with the RS 40, but I doubt anyone's decision here would be impacted negatively from it
Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Trackrat, TRACKCAR, FTS, thanks for the warm welcome and your super-fast responses (given the question, all the more valuable from guys who track their cars).

Regarding "ice pedal" my takeaway is that there is little reason to be concerned should one stick to OEM spec wheels, tires and brake pads.

It would be intriguing to find out from Porsche whether or not the coolant issues have been addressed. I'm going to put the question to the dealer and will post the response should there be one.

Thanks again!

p.s. Great encouragement to take the plunge on the 4.0 BTW! Once the dealer is 100% on the allocation, still to decide on White vs. PTS (if available), and steels vs. PCCB.

Last edited by lightweight; 05-03-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Our pleasure. Yes, keep us posted please.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Not sure if it has been posted already. The 4.0 is now available on the US car configurator. Cheers.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Thanks, i had played with it on the german website, but now I can dream in USD..

Sold '07GT3 white