Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Vice Advocate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Keep Or Sell? 3RS/Spyder vs Cup

So, the inevitable slippery slope question has come forefront:

Dump the affectionately monikered "Piece of Crap" (3RS) and probably Spyder too and buy a Cup?

DE and TT track fun only for me. No real interest in racing. I don't think. The Cup would be a later model with sequential tranny.

1. Is it essentially a given that I must return both modded cars to stock in order to not take a complete and total financial bath upon selling? Or does a market exist for professionally and intelligently modded cars?

2. In a previous thread I proposed and supported a case for tracking a well-modded GT car for fun. Is there a remotely rational (I know, I know...) case to be made for DE and TT'ing a Cup for fun?

I don't have to sell either or both, but it seems pretty silly to let the collection of garage jewels grow even bigger by adding a Cup and keeping everything else.

The 3RS and Spyder are set up as any super-enthusiast would want and it pains me to even consider this but here it is...I know some of you have been here and can offer some feedback.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Default Re: Keep Or Sell? 3RS/Spyder vs Cup

Let me know when the part sale begins.....

My opinion.....

If you just De why a Cup? You will be much faster than everyone always looking for point bys

I like DE with my friends with teh same car
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered PCA Member

A Cup Car is like sex..once you start, you can never stop!

Watch this space for more details on the Porsche Cup Car Experience...absolutely brilliant, and then some!

Trackrat is just ahead of the curve... a man with a plan.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

i dont know. sex and women aren't very interesting to me.

cup... once you drive it, you will never drive your RS on track again. even with my stripper gt3, i find my 3.8RS heavy and lacking. now if you try a late model sequential cup..... you WILL sell your RS. we can bet on it.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

If you don't have to then don't

What's one more? :-)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

A cup car is a little over kill for DE. If you have no intrest in wheel to wheel, then what's the point. For me, I like the thrill of driving a street car to the limit, finding the limit, then making changes to the car (and me) to exceed it. Plus I can always drive it down the street or across the state.

-Troy
2011.5 GT3 RS - 4.0L #257 of 600 ("Gumbo 4.0")
2011 GT3 RS - 3.8L NASA TTS ("The Colonel")
2011 Carrera S Cab PDK
Other Fast Stuff Too!!!

Last edited by Glock Guru; 05-28-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Just add the CUP car first.
You can always sell the others.

The blue one makes the most sense to sell with the 4.0 on the way, but with the time, money and memories invested I'd never sell it. The 4.0 won't show up until Sept?
The Spyder maybe if you don't value the dop down ride once in a while..

If you do sell, you can first try to sell to fellow nutcase first as-is with all the stuff. I did so with last GT3 and I loved the thought of someone taking the car and continue to track it as intended. Maybe a few $$ less then parting out, but less hassle more satisfaction....

Cupcar, remember that you must trailer and have mechanic with you for CUP. Maybe you can just start them and drive, but I think there might be more to driving a CUP car.
You might go fast, but not like the rough harsh high maint ride after the thrill wears off..
You might love it enough to dump all else and start your own race team, or just use the CUP with full arrive and drive service and just show up with helmet at the races ;-)

Either way there will be a trusty 4.0 and GT2RS waiting to drive you to the circuit.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Vice Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzone View Post
Let me know when the part sale begins.....

My opinion.....

If you just De why a Cup? You will be much faster than everyone always looking for point bys

I like DE with my friends with teh same car
Lol..I will

See, I feel the same way right now? All my track pals with exception of one (Mike!) have street cars and it is fun chasing each other on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festina Lente View Post
Watch this space for more details on the Porsche Cup Car Experience...absolutely brilliant, and then some!

Trackrat is just ahead of the curve... a man with a plan.
Looking forward to the report(s)! My plans are sometimes a bit over the top, sometimes I need reining in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
cup... once you drive it, you will never drive your RS on track again. even with my stripper gt3, i find my 3.8RS heavy and lacking. now if you try a late model sequential cup..... you WILL sell your RS. we can bet on it.
Yeah, you and Festina...troublemakers the both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
If you don't have to then don't

What's one more? :-)
License, registration, insurance, upkeep...lol. But I do love to drive all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Guru View Post
A cup car is a little over kill for DE. If you have no intrest in wheel to wheel, then what's the point. For me, I like the thrill of driving a street car to the limit, finding the limit, then making changes to the (and me) to exceed it. Plus I can always drive it down the street or across the state.

-Troy
That has always been my thought too. But you need one now to keep up with Chuck eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
The blue one makes the most sense to sell with the 4.0 on the way, but with the time, money and memories invested I'd never sell it. The 4.0 won't show up until Sept?
The Spyder maybe if you don't value the dop down ride once in a while..

Cupcar, remember that you must trailer and have mechanic with you for CUP. Maybe you can just start them and drive, but I think there might be more to driving a CUP car.
You might go fast, but not like the rough harsh high maint ride after the thrill wears off..
You might love it enough to dump all else and start your own race team, or just use the CUP with full arrive and drive service and just show up with helmet at the races ;-)
Yes, it would be very hard for me to part with the blue car, a labor of love for sure. 4.0 arriving mid/late-Aug.

That is my other concern- I arrive, unload car and drive in current situation. The blue car require minimal upkeep/prep. Nut and bolt it, check pads, that's it.

I have heard, but don't know the facts, that a Cup is going to require much more time dedicated to maintenance and consumables. I was talking to Fatih last night and told him my concern was that it would be like a (big) boat- your two very best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it

Arrive and drive or even going to Barber 2-3 times a year might be the better financial proposition to do some occasional Cup driving for fun?

So I do appreciate everyone making comments as it helps me to clarify my thought process. It is a high-class problem for sure and I/we are very fortunate to have these kinds of things to worry about
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

I think you and Mooty need to get togther and buy one new and share up-keep costs and do endurance races
Old 05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Fatih, you're evil..

These guys are already down the slippery slope and you are egging them on?

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
It is a high-class problem for sure and I/we are very fortunate to have these kinds of things to worry about
Or as I like to say: "Let's make story's while we can, there are a lot of people out there who's life sucks a lot worse then ours'"

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-28-2011, 06:21 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
Fatih, you're evil..

These guys are already down the slippery slope and you are egging them on?
I am advocating.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Carry on then

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Wow, cup car, 4.0. Some people are just wondering how to pay the rent every month. I live vicariously through you guys. . Get the cup car and keep everything
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Take the blue pill, not the red pill....