Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Tired of you guys having all the fun!!

Well, I broke down after spending time with Fatih and Brian recently and have signed up for my first DE with SCCA at Summit Point on the Main track this Saturday, Sept. 24.

I hope all goes well and think I should be fine. Haven't tracked since the mid '90's so I will take it easy and not go crazy out there.

Any suggestions are welcome and the only question I have is that i was planning on running with the traction control off. Any thoughts on that being a bad idea? I have been running competitive AX for 7 years now and done pretty well. Pretty controlled and not looking to be a time champ but to really enjoy this great car I have in my garage in a different and exciting venue. I will be running on my street Bridgestone RE-11's which are pretty good and give decent feedback.

Thanks to the local DE guys with the PCA whom have prodded me nicely along the way. Looking forward to a fun and safe Saturday!

Stu
Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Re: Tired of you guys having all the fun!!

Hahaha, just superb!!!

I'd recommend you do NOT turn off traction control at this time. Autoxers make for great drivers no doubt, but initially I found that most have a tendency to be too abrupt with the controls, whereas you need to smooth it out considerably on the track, which comes naturally within few sessions/events. Just take it easy, get used to the speed, find the line (which does not change from session to session or event to event btw, it is always the same ) and stay consistent, even with the mistakes

The rest will come naturally to you.

Cheers mate and good luck.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Garage

Any recommendation on tire pressures hot or cold? Running streets- 245/19 front and 305/19 rear, Bridgestone RE-11.

Traction control will stay on.

Thanks,

Stu
Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Great to hear you're coming out!

I drove this SCCA event last year. It's well run and you should have a great time. Last year it was crowded, so try not to get frustrated if there's traffic.

I agree with Fatih, keep the nannies on for now. You should be able to run at a very good pace without any intervention. If you do feel it, I would suggest figuring out why and adjusting your driving so it doesn't come on.

I've got RE11's on my Cayman and have run them on track. Try 36/37 hot and see how you like it. They will move and howl a bit. Drop a pound or two if it's too slippery.

Yeah, slow those hands down! There's no timer.....relax and have fun.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

I'm affraid your autoX enthusiasm might get ruined....

DE driving inputs are more about rythm and smoothness, you are going to love it, but it will feel like slow motion albeit at much higher speeds at first, depending on how the old DE muscle memory kicks in ;-)

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

I don't know much about RE11s, so I cannot recommend specific pressures, but what Brian is suggesting seems to be in the ball park for most tires. The only recommendation I'd have is to have about 3 psi more in the rear at Summit, especially for an autoxer, otherwise you might feel a little too much understeer.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF32s View Post
Any recommendation on tire pressures hot or cold? Running streets- 245/19 front and 305/19 rear, Bridgestone RE-11.

Traction control will stay on.

Thanks,

Stu
Stu

I also come from an AutoX background so here is my take on pressures. I shoot for the same hot pressure that I AutoX at usually 36f and 39R this is on AD08's. I also soften the rear sway bar 1 notch to tame the rear, a car that dances at AutoX can be a little twitchy on the track. Now for the caveat I drive a 6GT3 so the sway settings may not apply to the 7.1. Also RE11's tend to get greasy when they get hot on track. All of the above IMHO YMMV

Peter
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Btw, Potmac PCA has a 2 day season ending DE at Summit Main on October 29th and 30th.

I am already predicting your love for the GT3 on track.....so don't miss out and sign up early.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Garage

OK guys. All sounds like good ideas. I am taking the car to Intersport tomorrow morning so I might have them loosen the rear bar one hole. I will try the 36 front, 37 rear and work from there.

I will definitely work on the smooth and not push it too hard. If all goes well, I will see about the next PCA DE at Summit and since i am taking the car to West Palm Beach for the winter, I may have to watch for a DE at Sebring and see if that can work into the schedule. I may be jumping the gun but all of your enthusiasm is kind of contagious and I am really looking forward to this.

Not sure where this slippery slope will end but I will certainly enjoy the ride.

I'll check in with everyone early next week unless you have some other nuggets of wisdom for the Novice.

Stu
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Garage

BTW- Peter, we met at the DC ProSolo a few years back when Ian won SS here. I think at National's too. Maybe we can catch up in FLA at some point. Also, I think Neil Simon is bringing his new BMW 1M out to the DE this weekend too. Not sure if he is planning on attacking the One Lap again with you guys.

Stu
Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF32s View Post
BTW- Peter, we met at the DC ProSolo a few years back when Ian won SS here. I think at National's too. Maybe we can catch up in FLA at some point. Also, I think Neil Simon is bringing his new BMW 1M out to the DE this weekend too. Not sure if he is planning on attacking the One Lap again with you guys.

Stu
Neil says he is bringing the 1M to the OLOA in2012 but I will miss seeing the MCoupe. Lots of DE opportunity in FL in the winter for DE. If you want to run Sebring though usually January is your only option as testing for 12 hours eats up the track. PBOC and Chin usually have Jan dates at Sebring. The PCA 48hrs event at Sebring is usually for advanced drivers only. Hooked on Driving and NASA also run events in FL. Maybe we can hook up at the track and yes Ian is as good on the track as at Autox.

Peter
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Did Neil finally sell his M Coupe? Amazing how long that car stood his and Woody's abuse I'd love to see his 1M, I am sure it is quite special.

Btw, if you are going to soften the rear bar Stu, start with 3 psi pressure difference with the rears being higher. Trial and error of course, but I'd bet money you won't like 36/37 combo, start with 34/37.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Garage

Thanks Fatih. I ended up leaving my bars alone this morning. I will start at 34/37 cold and check and level it out from there. I should be OK.

Keeping my fingers crossed it is somewhat dry. I am all set to go and really looking forward to it. There is a PCA HPDE the same day on one of the other circuits. Are you going?

Stu
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Garage

Oh- not sure if Neil sold the Coupe yet or not.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
SIG Advocate

Garage

Those are hot target pressures Stu, you need to start 8 to 10 psi lower than those in the morning and keep adjusting after each session.