Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions
Register Forums FAQs Search

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage
Default Brakes and Shocks

Two things I did not note on the other thread about our Barber day thinking they deserve their own thread:

1- Brakes, specifically ice mode.

This has been discussed in length in many forums and even here. While using PSDS cars, I tried my best to induce ice mode on the Turbos and GT3s, four different cars, by slamming on the initial application of brakes, which is also what the instructors were asking us to do, gradually ease off them. I just could not even get close to anything that might be described as "ice mode." The cars were stock; tires, pads, fluid, etc., except one of the GT3s had ceramics with PS2s on it. The Turbos exhibited very long pedal travel, but kept the same braking performance through all sessions, a bit longer stopping distances than the GT3s.

2- Shocks

I think we are either at 3rd or 4th generation PASM on the 997.2 GT3s, and I thought they are pretty good both for daily driving and track. After driving the Cup car though, I am better able to relate why the Excellence Magazine is so critical of PASM on the GT3s. In stock configuration, there are several areas on the tracks I visit in which the rear loses traction for a fraction of time, especially on bumpy sections, elevation change points, etc. The car takes a split second more to settle on its tires at full speed, and generally engages traction control. It is a momentary loss of traction that I can live with for my purposes.

However, after driving the GT3 and Cup back to back, the problem was much more amplified for me. The Cup car never loses traction, always planted, always full power to the rear, very smooth. Although it is a lighter, much more rigid and stiffly setup car, the ride over the track surface and curbs were noticeably smoother than that of the GT3. Granted some of it is due to aerodynamics, but at the cornering speeds we were traveling, I doubt the downforce on the Cup car had significant effect. As shocking as this may sound, I would hope Festina can collaborate my observations.

I think the issue is over-dampened rebound of PASM, which is a compromise of course between street and track driving. But in this case, with back to back driving, the issue was annoying to me.