Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions
Register Forums FAQs Search

AutoX, DE and Racing Discussions All discussions related autoxing, DE, amateur and professional racing activities

Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Close Call at South Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I have no word man, just no words I am not that comfortable running like that, especially on upper essess and T10, just amazing.

I am going to use this as the next video of the week, hope you don't mind.
Absolutely. Great 3 lap sequence to get the blood pressure up that never gets old watching. As long as you don't hold the exuberant Whoa! and Oh Yeah! when I hit the clag at the top of the esses tracking out before Southbend and whne I realize I finally hit my best of 2:03.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

I watch this video and my 214 video to get prepped for VIR.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930man View Post
I call BS ,, you dont need to touch curb,, no reason to un settle the car if you dont need to.
I don't like the idea of hitting the curb either. I am already struggling to get the car to settle on turn in......too much brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell View Post
Ask and ye shall receive: LINK
Thanks for making my 2:06's feel

Really, thanks! I will watch this more closely and try to learn from it. Just from a quick glance I see your line through 14-14a is much different than mine....your's more similar to the Pro that drove my car.

What are you driving in this video?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Car is a street 996 GT3. monoball suspension and motons.

The line through T14 allows me to brake VERY DEEP and carry much more speed into "roller coaster". It straightens out the transition so the 2 direction change trailbrake is less of a weight shift. When I started to really get my times low enough where I was counting tenths instead of seconds, my coach introduced me to that line. You just have to have 100% confidence in your skillset since you are braking about the 50-75 foot brake marker (between the 1 and the turn-in arrow) at 155-165mph and trailing through both T14 and T14a. But once you hit it, it is sublime.

As far as the curbing. Going over T10 is no big deal if the suspension is dialed in properly. It is the track out curbing that you want to either miss or slightly graze. The key to getting your braking and turn-in nailed down is make sure you are on throttle coming out of the esses and then IMMEDIATELY after you go over the crest (between T9-T10) hit the brakes (hard but not unsettling) downshift and then back on the throttle to gain rear-end grip turning in. Another one of those places where once it all comes together it is sublime.

For me, southbend is on of those places on track I was terrified of until I nailed it. Now I know what I (and the car) are capable of and never cross that line
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goB2-...mbedded#at=240

This is from last year 2.06's. Toyo RA1 and Pagid 29 CUP LSD.
This year I think I drove better but tires and brakes only let me do 1 2.077 and a bunch of 2.08's. Warmer too, I could stay in 5th into T14 this year coming out of the Oak tree faster.

Changes from last year compared to this year (Video stuck in my car until laptop fixed)
Please critique, I like free coaching ;-)

Changes already made this year:
Oak tree is faster in 3rd and T1 is tighter/ faster now due to less aggressive LSD.
I was still shifting to 4th after T5, I think I should use the lift before T5 to shift to forth to get a more stable faster run to the esses. I do use the first 2 curbs in the esses.
I shift very sloooow, I know.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Nice driving.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for making my 2:06's feel
+1!

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Nice couple of laps!

The only input I can offer is a few small tweaks here are there to gain time.

T1-->Get tighter. All the grip is on the inside line. Also, grab second and short shift to third just after track out heading to T2. Staying in third gives back several tenths.

T3-->Again, a bit tighter and earlier. The later the turn in the more steering angle and greater weight shift.

T4-->Grab 2nd and then short shirt to 3rd on the way to T5. This will grab another few tenths.

T7-T8 transition-->Stay a bit further left at T7 turn-in and wait a split second longer before turning up to T8. This offers to major benefits. The first is the longer you wait to turn up the esses the straighter the line to the top becomes (so less steering input). The second benefit is that your steering angle will be easier to have at neutral as you crest T8. 99% of the cars that lose it in the esses (from videos I have watched) seem to be from having steering input as you crest T8. T8 is deceiving since it really unloads the rear end.

T10-->Again, just clean up the braking and turn in a tick sooner.

T14-->Grab 2nd just before the right-hander down the roller coaster and then short shift to 3rd in between T14a and T15. I've tried both and the data shows that extra burst of speed from 2nd grabs you another few tenths.

T15-T16-->Don't grab 4th. Take 3rd to the top. You should be just about redline in 3rd as you hit your brake point for T16. This keeps you in the meat of the power for hogpen. You'll grab 4th on the exit of Hogpen.

By the way, very smooth with the hands. Great driving!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

i'll have to remember all this for when i make it back to VIR, thanks Dell
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Very welcome! By the way, don't you "technically" have a job today? Getting closer. Pulling for y'all!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

dell, i just watched your vid. nice driving and i like the woohoos!!! haha
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

Just one of those moments when I felt like a kid all over again
Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

i totally understand those moments...

i have a job but dont have a job. then i can go to my job but i cant do anything there or talk to anybody. its ridiculous!!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

I'm actually watching ESPN right now listening to it as a nice diversion from work. However, the diversion is a bunch of contradiction. You are allowed to go to work but the doors are locked or all the staff has been sent home. How y'all keep your heads screwed on right is beyond me. Hang in there.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

I'm not even going to ask...