Go Back   PCA GT2, GT3 and Cup Car SIG Forums > GT2/GT3/Cup Car Register Discussions > GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions

GT2, GT3, RS and Cup Car Discussions Discussions on all topics related to all Porsche GT vehicles

Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Garage
Default Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty

Well, my LSD went south and I took the car into Tischer or Porsche of Silver Spring in MD and they told me it was in good shape and refused to go any further with it. They never even bothered to truly check the torque specs on it which I thought was pretty bad. After that, I called Porsche of Annapolis and they had a very knowledgeable guy named GH Sharp as the service rep and he was very good to work with and said bring it on over.

Well I did and they got it apart and found the LSD was truly toast. The bad part is that Porsche immediately asked were any aftermarket parts on the car. I only have one, a set of GMG sway bars. The car is still under original warranty until November of this year and then CPOed for another 2 years after that.

Porsche now claims that the sway bars are putting too much stress on the LSD and that is why I wore it out. All I do is Autocross the car. I am amazed that they refused it and thought I would put this out for comment or suggestions as to any possible recourse. The car is a 2007 with about 9500 miles on it. I am the second owner.

Thanks for any input.

Stu
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered Porsche Owner

Default Re: Porsche refuses LSD repair under warranty

That's frustrating on many levels, sorry to hear!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
SIG Advocate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 7
Garage

I am sorry to hear that Stu, what a bummer.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

Last dealer visit, 9K miles 1 year old:

I go: "CEL is on"
They go: "We have to charge $100.00 to check it because of all the mods."
I go: FU: "I only got Sharky, bought from you, after Ti one broke."
They go: "You put race gas in, cat broke, you pay."
I go: FU: "never seen race gas, 93 only."
They go: "We want the factory rep from Germany to look at your car, can you come back tomorrow?"
I go: "FU, nice knowing you."

Germany will deny anything if they see my car and they directly confirm the car is tracked and note VIN. I don't want to lie to dealer, so I always tell them I track the car, but if unrelated to track (abuse, like overrevs) they should fix and shut up.

Porsche the best cars for on track, just forget warranty.
I hear about good accomodating dealers out there, just have not found one yet.

Someone should hold them accountable for only releasing only marketing material showing the cars on track, then void ALL warranty.

Kinda like when Volkwagen was advertising the Touareg with a gigantic airstream trailer behind it. Guy bought it for that same trailer, car broke, he filed suit and won.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

nice long thread on RL with some solid input from Matt at Guard

FWIW, I have installed a guard diff and have been very pleased not only with the product but Matt's support of it.

The OEM diff debacle is one that we will all deal with and some dealers are better than others about dealing with it.

I have had one refreshed under CPO warranty and a freind of mine had the dealer put guard internals that he paid for and the dealer covered the labor under warranty.

It is a smart play for a dealer to cover it. As I understand it, Porsche allows 10 hours to make the repair and in actuality it only takes about 4. Porsche allows for powertrain removal, which is really not necessary.

So a smart dealer pushes this through and claims 10 hours which is allowed and makes a buck, and pleases a customer in the meantime.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Vice Advocate

Garage

PJS,

Great point, I don't get why they won't do the legit work and make the profit!!??

Regarding LSD, I don't want to waste time with the OEM, I just paid and put the CUP internals in.
Guard is good I'm sure, but I stick with proven Porsche Motorsport parts when I have a choise.
I run 38/52.

Sold '07GT3 white
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered Porsche Owner

many dealers do not like warranty as I am guessing that they are not reimbursed at full shop rate and they have to put up with corp warranty audits etc...

However... in this specific case, the allowed hours are so far over the required hours, a dealer that does not run this through is leaving money on the table or at least the opportunity to get some hours back from other jobs where they go over the allowed hours and have to eat it.

An experienced service manager responsible for bottom line of service dept, puts his head down and does the repair and max claims it -- all parties pleased.

I do not expect the 23 year old service writer to have a higher level of understanding or even an interest or care about any of this... and that is likely why some receive poor service. But if you meet and talk with the manager and he is not an a$$ then I would nicely challenge him to tell me how covering a diff does not make sense... and then if you really want to make your point... you hand him a box of guard parts and ask him to put those in instead of the stock parts and tell him he can keep the stock warranty replacement parts (free parts to him) and sell them to another workorder at full price... not only is he getting 6 hours of free labor reimbursement from corporate, he can double sell the stock rebuild parts.

it is so win win it hurts...